1854 Half Dime : Date Overlapping Base

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brian Bucklan, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I'm now very much into ancient coins but every now and then I go through my old half dime collection that was put together 30+ years ago. This morning I was looking at this 1854 half dime with arrows which I marked as a V-1 with date touching base. When I looked to find other similar pieces I saw some with a high date which just touched the base which they also called a V-1 variety, but not like this one. Here's my example:
    1854 Half Dime high date.jpg
    On mine the top of the date actually curves up on the base. I'm guessing this is the proper V-1 variety ... I think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Your specimen is an V-1 Neil N3 Breen 3069
    It is listed as a misplaced date MPD -001
    The tops of all 4 digits are in the rock.
    This isn't technically is not a repunched date!
    Value of your coin with the variety at its current condition around $45.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Paddy54 Visualizing the coining operation, how would this type of variety be produced?

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. Paddy54

To be honest human error .....and thought out this hobby there are so many examples.....like this ..... 1869 RPD FS 1306.jpg
    Here's an 1869 shield nickel...look at that mess!!!! How many punches how many different punches? 1869 RPD FS 1302 102716.jpg

Look how skinny the under lying digits are....no way as per design on paper.
    Unskilled labor, who could drink on the job. Even to the fact they somehow mixed up punches...shapes and sizes....that were or could be used on larger coins.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

You helped me once before (about 3 years ago) with an 1850-O small O half dime variety. I very much appreciate your time.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

You're more than welcome, my pleasure , any time....

8. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I just picked up an 1854 w/ arrows half dime V-1 off of eBay, but I definitely over paid for it. It's in terrible condition but I thought it was neat. I maybe should have done the research BEFORE I bought the coin.... Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted