1853 with ARROWS DIME- (RIM ERROR?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by aiarz88, Feb 25, 2020.

1. aiarz88

aiarz88 Member

1853 Liberty Seated Dime, Arrows

Is this worth getting graded? Appears to be slighly off center with a rim error? Would love any input!

Thank you all!
    Abby

NOTE: Collaged image shows no flash on the LEFT side and the RIGHT side is with the flash.
    20200225_030318.jpg
    20200225_025833.jpg 20200225_025923.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think that's minor rim damage, not an error (the rim ding at 3:00 on the reverse, I mean).

The coin also looks cleaned, but perhaps within market-acceptable standards (I think the flash makes it look worse in that regard than it actually is).

Yes, the dies are slightly misaligned, but that's not significant enough to be worth any kind of premium.

So it's just your basic 167-year-old dime, which is not a bad thing in itself. Not particularly special among 1853 dimes, but a fun old type coin nonetheless.

aiarz88 likes this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As Lordmarcovan said, not a significant error, and it does look like it has been cleaned. Probably XF-40 sharpness but with the cleaning worth maybe VF-20 money. Probably $35 to $40, and it would cost you close to $35 to have it slabbed by PCGS or NGC, and it would still be marked as "Details", which is the kiss of death to some people.

aiarz88 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted