1853-O Half Dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by briguy4111, Sep 10, 2015.

1. briguy4111

briguy4111 New Member

Hello everyone. I'm new on here, and wondered if anyone could help me out. I came across this wonderful coin, and was looking for some advice about whether to have it graded or, not? Thanks for any input
    uploadfromtaptalk1441942796928.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1441942817499.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe I'm just becoming suspicious in my old age but....
    The one on the left is from the NGC site and the other is your pic. Date especially the 3 seems somewhat suspect to me? The date on this issue is typically stronger as it proceeds to the 3. Date punched into the die at an angle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't know about the date position either but I guess it's possible to have several varities. Who really knows what went on at the mint at that time? If it's real, it should grade about VG-8. Given the wear it's difficult to tell by the picture how much of the word LIBERTY shows on the shield. Sending it in may be the only way to tell if it's a fake or not.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Per Breen (who has been known to be incorrect) but...

This year only one die pair was used.

So, the presumption is that this is a fake.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is not a 1853-O. Sorry but everything is wrong. The shield should point to the top or right of the 1. The pendant should be centered between the 5 and the 3.
    I'm not sure what it is. Fake or altered. The images are really out of focus.

medjoy likes this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Too bad.
    If real it's one of the more expensive date/mm coins.

8. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

With all the back and forth going on, the only way to know for sure is to send it in. My question would be were strikes of each coin on those years going to be precise each time ?

9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but in my opinion, it would be a waste of money. I don't see much "back and forth" seems overwhelmingly fake. The 3 looks like it was made by a 2nd grader with a magic marker. Remember, I started with "in my opinion" and everyone's got one, just like.... well, it's my opinion anyway ;)

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm not seeing back-and-forth. The coin is, unfortunately, plainly counterfeit to someone who knows the series. Even if the shapes of the 5 and 3 in the date weren't suspect - they are, especially the 3 - there was only 1 die pair used for the entire mintage and this date is not a match for that die. Aside differences related to wear, yes, one must pretty much be identical to the next. If the date isn't correctly located, it's not the coin.

This coin's value, if real, would reach well into 4 figures. Most were melted with the weight change which caused the "Arrows" version, and it's thought fewer than 100 are extant. Good candidate for a counterfeit.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Better images would be cool. It's possible the coin is an 1858 altered date.

Draft saved Draft deleted