1853 Large Cent - Grade, issues, etc

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MrOrange1970, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

Hello all,

I did an impulse buy at an auction. Funny how you throw an offer our there expecting to get beat and then you end up taking home the goods.
    Because I'm starting the long process of building an 18th century type set with examples in the best condition I can afford, I figured why not give it a shot. The auctioneer gets good reviews (Silvertowne).

A few things that set off the normal alarm bells.
    The cent is encased in a LVCS Capsule (Liberty View Certification Services). I can't find them anywhere except for items that are a part of this auction.
    It's rated MS 61-RB. Coinworld doesn't have a category for this rating (MS-62 and MS 62).
    It's a pretty coin and seems to have decent luster though there is a bit of staining, the strike looks a bit weak (most stars don't have the inner lines) and there appears to be a bit of verdigris on the reverse.
    A few questions:
    1. Authentic - Yes/No
    2. Personal Rating - MS, AU, etc
    3. Opinion about if it's been cleaned
    4. Opinion on whether I should crack the slab, use Verdi Care on it and either submit to NCG, PCGS or ANACS or if the price is worth it.

Thanks!
    CM160829-16024401.jpg CM160829-16033002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

My opinion won't buy you a cup of coffee. But what the hell, here we go:
    1) yes
    2) MS
    3) cleaned
    4) why not you bought the coin not the slab, right?

MrOrange1970 likes this.
  4. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I realize this is an insane bump, but... doesn't this coin look off? High MS level details on front and squishy XF details on back.

Is it possibly counterfeit?

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I see nothing unusual.

It looks sharp. The striking inconsistencies between the two sides are not uncommon.

In this particular case, I'm not sure about the color, even if the lighting or white balance in the images had been better.

But I see no red flags in terms of authenticity.

Worth submission for third-party grading, I would say.

ldhair likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted