1853 Half Cent Newcomb Help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Good morning!
    This half cent is on its way to me from an overseas auction and I was hoping to get some insight into the Newcomb variety. I don’t have access to the book or I would try it myself. I’m not even sure if there are rarer varieties of this particular year which carry a premium.
    Anyhow, any input would be appreciated!
    C5DD95E0-156D-4C50-875E-4235F0FB2A51.jpeg 051D9A44-AEE0-47D0-91E0-7D578BD86655.jpeg

NSP likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

NSP likes this.
  5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Probably in the AU range. The color of the obverse seems a little bit off to me, so it may have been cleaned or could have sustained light environmental damage. It’s still a nice coin, though!

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Probably AU55. The spots are probably some a dealer in England handling the coin and talking to someone while eating a tuna sandwich. (Not exactly, but Jerry Bobbe talks about how he experienced a dealer there showing him Conder tokens once.)

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The sharpness is in the AU range, but the spots and possible cleaning take it down to EF-40 from the pricing perspective. There is only die Cohen die variety for this year.

These coins did not circulate very much, and high grades are the norm. It's rare to see one below EF from "honest wear."

I bought this one in the mid 1960s from the coin counter at Gimbels Dempartment store in Philadelphia. They graded it VF. Today it's in an MS-62 holder!

1853HalfCentO.JPG 1853HalfCentR.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted