1853 Dahlonega VF30 $5 Gold Countermarked

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by dennis5151, Nov 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

Sadly, countermarked with large L on reverse. I can not provide a better picture. What is it worth? I think I paid intrinsic.
    DSC00201.JPG DSC00203.JPG DSC00208.JPG DSC00209.JPG DSC00211.JPG DSC00212.JPG

SorenCoins, tibor and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with @-jeffB, Dahlonega and melt are never mentioned in the same breath, no matter the condition. I am afraid I have no idea of market value today, though I suspect you will get wildly different answers, which is common with problem coins.

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely more than melt. I actually like the countermark, and you'll probably find a countermark collector who admires a Dahlonega countermark. This is the first one I've seen!

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That’s a great piece and definitely worth more than melt to the right collector. Now if you can trace who the L counter mark is for it will increase the value even more.

7. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

L for Lucifer. Only the devil would punch a Dahlonega. I have searched one countermark reference with no luck. I hope someone out there has a clue or has seen other gold coins with the same mark.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

But the L may be on other coins, not just gold.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, it's worth more than melt, but the 1853-D half eagle is the most common date in the Dahlonega series.

Many of them were made from California gold. A lot of Dahlonega miners went to California and returned a few years later with some of their California gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted