1851-O Seated Liberty Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pennyman Investments, Apr 9, 2015.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

It's only the property of the government if they find out..... ;)

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I do not recall ever reading anything that would suggest it impossible for another/others to have been made or, perhaps, exist, but the OP's example is certainly not one of them. The similarities between the known example in Kirk's post and the OP's do not extend beyond the superficial.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The only known piece, 1851o_silver_dollar_detail.jpg examined, by Larry & Ira Goldberg is shown below. No others have surfaced since.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The one from my post has been in an ANACS PR-62 holder your years now and hasn't seen the marketplace in a very long time. I'm not sure which collection in resides, but I think that if that coin started trading hands regularly, it would quickly become one of the most valuable coins in the world.

6. BooksB4Coins

Exactly... so when someone implies that other genuine examples may exist in a thread about a clear knock-off, it is not unreasonable to point out that the similarities only go so far.

rzage likes this.
  7. tomc

tomc New Member

I bought this coin at auction, along with a 1913 s quarter, a 1916 quarter, and a 1932 D quarter. Expecting they may be fakes, but the three quarters all came back as real. So I am wondering about the dollar? coin front 2.jpg coinback.jpg

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Nothing jumps out as it being cast or anything, but the date looks completely wrong. Who graded the other pieces, and which auction house would have so many key dates uncertified? Seems very suspicious.

9. tomc

tomc New Member

The auction house is an estate clean-out in upstate ny that does not know coins or there value. The other coins were graded by a local coin dealer in ny. I did not even take the trade dollar with me because from what Ive read it is fake. But now I read the man says he found it metal detecting so just wondering.

10. BooksB4Coins

Compare it to the genuine example on the first page.... they're certainly not the same.

"Trade dollar"?

The other coins were "graded by a dealer" or submitted through him? I obviously don't know who you took them to, but do be careful not confusing "dealer" with "expert". For every truly knowledgeable one out there, there's another who shouldn't be giving advice. Perhaps you can post photos?

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. tomc

tomc New Member

Thank you I will.

12. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Obvious counterfeit. Looks like a modern Chinese copy.

13. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

To anyone that says this cannot be; same was said about copper 1943 US cents for many years.

14. BooksB4Coins

"To anyone that says"..... what? That the TomC's example is indeed fake? If so, and with all due respect, the comparison both a stretch and on the surface, rather poor. Unfortunately, his does not even remotely match the single known genuine coin, so all other legitimate "concerns" aside, what do you think the chances are another would (errant or not) have been made that just happens to much more closely resemble a modern low-quality imitation than genuine coins of that era?

What you're seeing here isn't the blind uneducated dismissal of this gentleman's "coin".

15. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

After closer examination of the REAL, excuse me, the only known example and NOT the OP's, I believe it is a Philadelphia mint production but struck over a previously struck New Orleans Mint silver dollar.

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is definitely fake.

17. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The February edition of The Numismatist had a wonderful article on the 1851- O dollar.

18. John W. Carcano

John W. Carcano New Member

I also have a 1851 O seated liberty. Im unsure of its origins or anything about it but ut is an interesting coin.

19. BooksB4Coins

Welcome, John. Feel free to post photos if you'd like more information. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted