1851 Gold Dollar for grading opinions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, May 2, 2016.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I just bought this from a "We Buy Gold" shop near where I go to school. The dealer wanted $80 for it, so I gave him $80. How did I do?

I'm thinking AU-53, possibly 55. image.jpeg image.jpeg

old49er likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have to say that it is suspiciously well struck, but I don't see anything else wrong with it to comment further on the authenticity (and don't think that it is fake). I would grade it as a XF-45 and think that you did extremely well for $80.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Wow. What a great find. I don't own any gold. That is a tremendous deal though from what I know

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

VERY good buy at $80! I do not know these as well as $2 1/2, but I think it is real. I would say easy AU with possibility of MS.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. John King

John King Member

What is weight of gold in the coin? I don't see how you lose at $80.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well if you purchased it from a "We Buy Gold " shop the guy or person you purchased it from will probably not be working there much longer,or is dumb as a stump. VF20 it's 240, Ef 260, AU 275, and ms 350.
    Knowing how these shops work which is strictly on commission someone is going to the wood shed!

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

How come the shops around me won't give their gold coins away? Oh well, someone else's ignorance is bliss for you!

Paddy54 and Insider like this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

I talked to the owner of the shop. He had no idea what is was worth, so he sold it to me at a markup of what he paid, which must have been close to melt.

Paul M. and jwitten like this.
  10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Looks AU to me, great buy!

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'd call it xf 45. Those wholesale around $200

12. jwitten

Here is an AU55. In my opinion, your's shows more luster and looks nicer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

easj3699 likes this.
  13. Mainebill

image.jpeg image.jpeg This a 53 and I thought accurately graded

14. jwitten

15. Mainebill

I think there's a bit more wear in the hair. And on the reverse especially on 1. Tho these are known for strike issues too. I could change my grade if I saw in hand too. Personally I'd grade your coin au 50. I like the crusty originality of it. These can be graded all over the place too. I had an anacs yellow in 53 I cracked and sent raw to pcgs. They called it 58. I thought 53-55 was right on it. I actually sold it and the 53 I posted for the same money to the same guy at $210 ea

Morgandude11 and Paul M. like this.
  16. jwitten

It wasn't my coin, just one I found on ebay. I think the OP coin has decent luster, which is why I think AU at a minimum. I have seen some super weak strikes on these, so it is hard to judge on details.

17. Mainebill

True about the strike. I won't 100% say without seeing in hand if the op coin hasn't been dipped or lightly cleaned in the past either the halos and a few shadows are reminiscent of an improperly rinsed dip

18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about these, but why would a 13mm gold coin have strike issues? It seems like you could set the presses to give a great strike every time without wearing out the dies too quickly.

19. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

One of the reasons is that because its so thin a heavier striking pressure would break the dies

Stevearino, micbraun and Paul M. like this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

Those halos are luster. This coin has about 40% of the luster remaining, hence my AU-53 assessment, but what luster is there is strong and cartwheels nicely. I am not able to see any sins of cleaning. And the shadows are the result of my poor lighting setup at the moment.

ksparrow and jwitten like this.
  21. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Looks like you might consider stopping at the "We Buy Gold" shop every day to see what they are practically giving away at near melt.

You bought yourself a pretty sweet birthday present.:)

Paul M. and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted