1851 Braided hair cent & 1855 Braided hair half cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by old49er, May 2, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi again everyone. Here,s a couple of coins from my type set. I love these old cent and half cents. funny how the half cent has the slanted 5,s. Is this 1851 cent the one they call the funny or booby head? Whats the story on that name? and last of all w 1851 braided hair cent.jpg 1855 braided hair half cent.jpg braidehair half and cent.jpg braidehaircent and halfrev.jpg ] hat do you pros grade these at? Thanks again...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The cent is cleaned, the half cent definitely details.

old49er likes this.
  4. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

funny and booby head were from 1839. 1851 looks vf 30 or so. 1855 half cent looks like xf details to me. Rim damaged. Cannot see 1836 coin well in pics

old49er likes this.
  5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Copper is fun to collect, but the large cents are the best. I think the 1851 looks around vf-35 and xf details on the half cent. Hard to say about the cleaning on the large cent, but it is possibly cleaned. The picture make it look cleaned - in my opinion.

old49er likes this.
  6. old49er

I think their cleaned too. but they sure are pretty still...

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As jerryc39 said the biiby head is only on the 1839. There is no "funny" head, you are probably thinking of the "silly" head, also only in 1839. As for the story behind the name, no one really knows. In the earliest known use of the name booby head it is clear from the description that the writer was referring to an earlier usage of the name that has never been traced. (He used it with no explanation which would indicate that he assumed the reader would know what he was talking about.)

old49er likes this.
  8. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

good catch condor. I meant to type silly head

old49er likes this.
  9. old49er

Thanks for the great info. That fills a piece to the puzzle for me. I think this Booby terminology originated , as reference to a bird. Perhaps the blue footed booby? They have a longish neck, yet a beautiful bird. I also notice her neck is longer on the bust ,on these type coins. Hence, the referral Booby?

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But it is no longer than on the silly head, head of 38 or the 39/6 (or any of the other young heads 1835 -38.) So there is nothing special about the neck on the booby

old49er likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted