1851-61 China cash coin?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Seattlite86, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I’m looking for some assistance in figuring out exactly what this is, if it could be real, and what it’s value would be. Here’s the information I have on hand:
    China cash coin 1-7, 1851-61.
    I’ve looked up numista cash coins in China 1851 and found some 644 different coins. I’m not lazy, just ignorant.

Edit: the coin has been lacquered by a previous owner.
    Same coin, just slightly different lighting.
    Weight ~68g
    73D06FFB-300D-479E-97D8-857438DCF6E0.jpeg 9B823BA1-D655-4453-9D86-959F1974B785.jpeg 37389FB5-746A-4891-8A08-43191E6B99CF.jpeg 159657C7-E73D-450D-B10A-24C3376D6294.jpeg
    @TypeCoin971793 @micbraun

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

As I first thought it was a Japanese coin, I’d rather not comment on it publicly :-D

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

7. furryfrog02

@AnYangMan You are pretty well versed in Chinese coins, correct?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag, @furryfrog02! The attribution provided above is somewhat correct, though not complete. The size and weight, as well as the characters on the reverse indicate that it is indeed a value 50 cash coin, from the Board of Revenue mint. Emperor Wenzong, Xian Feng Zong Bao (咸豐重寶). The Xianfeng reign title was in use from 1851-1851, but value 50 cash were only cast between 1853 and 1855. The 68 gram weight of this piece means it is an early piece, cast between October 1853 to February 1854. The calligraphy tells us it is a piece form the Southern branch of this Board of Revenue mint.

But now for the important part: is it genuine? I personally focus on warring states coinage, roughly 2000 years prior to the issuing of this coin. Authenticating Qing coinage really is a field on its own and I would be lying if I claimed expertise within this subject. That being said, I see no immediate things that allow me to condemn it. The calligraphy is generally spot on, although some characters are a bit too uneven for my liking, and the colour is also the right shade of brass. The fields are a bit rough however, which may just be the (visual) result of the lacquering. To conclude, it has a shot at being genuine, but ultimately I am not familiar enough with authenticating this series.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Seattlite86 and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

Thanks. @AnYangMan. I figured you would have the best shot at giving some more insight :)

Seattlite86 and AnYangMan like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Sorry @Seattlite86 . I’ve been working on a project all day, so I’m just now getting around to this. @AnYangMan ’s attribution is correct. The way to tell the denominations is with the bottom character on the reverse. The left/right characters on the reverse is the mint name in Manchurian. The top/bottom characters on the obverse is the reign title of the emperor.

I intentionally don’t collect Qing coinage, especially that of Xian Feng. There are many high-quality fakes, and I do not know how to spot them. The fields on your coin look bumpy, and the edges of the characters seem soft, both of which are not good signs. This issue was very well-cast. I hope it’s just the result of the laquer.

AnYangMan and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. Seattlite86

Thank you everyone for your input and expertise! This was purchased a couple decades ago, but I doubt that changed anything on whether it can be original. This will be classified as “possible fake” and will go to a coin show in the future with the hopes of someone seeing it in hand might help make the final decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted