1849 Quarter Eagle in a Yellow Slab?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jul 28, 2020.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I was desperately looking for one of these coins as they are rare, very rare! There were only 23,294 minted in Philly and that was 171 years ago. Both NGC and PCGS together have only graded less than 250 so it's quite a rarity. Yes, I know not everyone has their coins graded so there could be more but I don't think there's a lot more. It's also a California Gold Rush year so I've been wanting one for quite awhile! Unfortunately, this one has damage and I don't normally buy coins with damage but I was willing to chance with this one and I have no regrets! :D I'm wondering about the slab though, anyone ever see one like this? Looks like a PCGS slab but I don't remember them ever using an unnamed yellow slab ever. It's sealed just like a PCGS slab so I doubt it was done at home. Anyone know??

1849golda.JPG 1849goldb.JPG 1849goldc.JPG 1849goldd.JPG 1849golde.JPG 1849goldf.JPG 1849goldg.JPG 1849goldh.JPG

Spark1951 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it's not a PCGS Slab, it would have their name on it somewhere, since the beginning they did that. even gen 1 slab.

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The slab is bogus, at least with respect to the known TPG's.
    Notice, no name.
    Crack it out and give us some good clear images.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Slab is like old ICGs slabs, but it looks basement slabbed to me. Bar code reader might help, if your phone has that app.

6. fretboard

Looks to be sealed pretty good, next time I have it in hand maybe I will. The obverse don't look too bad but the reverse has fire damage on probably 2/3rds of the coin. Not good at all, but I'm looking for a great back story like it was damaged in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and fire!! laughhard.gif

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Some kind of self slab. You'll probably have to crack it out and get
    it authenticated.

fretboard likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's an ICG type shell but not slabbed by ICG. At one time the Morgan Mint was having fake ICG shells made in China. As soon as they started using them I contacted ICG and they got it shut down but it took about a week or so. It is possible that someone managed to open an ICG slab and reseal it without destroying it, or they could have had access to the fake shells at the Morgan Mint.

In any case it is not a legitimate slab.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This is what some people might call “a third world slab company.” It gets no respect in the market, and what you are really buying is a raw coin.

As for the coin, it appears to be genuine, but the photos are not super clear, and there are always opportunities to manipulate problems where you are dealing with “details” grade coins.

Here’s a thought. If you want a gold coin with the date “1849” on it, why not consider a certified gold dollar from one of the “big two” services? It’s a lot cheaper, and you could afford a no problem coin. Historically the gold dollar was authorized as part of the gold rush legislation that also authorized the $20 gold piece.

wxcoin likes this.
  10. fretboard

Yeah, it's genuine as I ran it over to my LCS and had him test it and take a good look at it and scan it. At some point I may have it authenticated but I'm not too worried about it at all. As far as getting a problem free one, I'm okay with this one and I don't want to spend more cash. Some will say, "oh I would never buy a coin with that kind of damage" and that's fine, they don't have to, but I'm okay with this coin as it's unique in my book! :D

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can buy slabs. You can print labels. Put it together with a coin in the slab and you have your very own slab, one you created. That's what you have here. Someone is set up in their basement, garage, workshop or any other place in their house andvthey do this to make extra money.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really? Does not look like it.

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Just to wet your appetite for something better, here's an 1849, "with L" Open Wreath gold dollar. This is the most common 1849 gold dollar. But, yes, it quite small at just 13.5 mm in diameter.

1849 Lg head Dol O.jpg 1849 Lg head Dol R.jpg

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks like severe acid damage on the reverse. Did your LCS guy test it with nitric acid and render it a bullion coin?

15. fretboard

No, he didn't slap it up, flip it or rub it down either but I'm okay with it as I'm mostly a Token collector! :D

Yes, I've had plenty of those in the past, here's a couple. That said, I'm a Token collector so I don't require coins that are super nice at all. That's a really nice one you have there! :D

IMG_1849b.JPG IMG_1849a.JPG IMG_1849d.JPG IMG_1849e.JPG 5200750a.jpg 5200750b.jpg

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not that one, at least not legitimately.

OK I took a closer look at the slab shell, that is NOT an ICG shell, it is a Morgan Mint shell. After ICG got the fake shell usage shut down the Morgan Mint had the shell molds modified. Visually it has the pinched in look at the bottom of the label like the ICG slabs, but there is an additional ridge there now so the actual side of the slab is straight and the slab is rectangular.

17. fretboard

Cool, appreciate your input @Conder101 as I know, you know slabs! :cigar:

That's what I think happened! :D

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Please do not take me out of context. My point was made very clear, that being you can buy a slab and make a label and encase the coin yourself. I said nothing, absolutely nothing about this slab that was used.

19. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

If it is that rare, I'm surprised the red book lists it at only $700.

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Bad news keeps piling on you hopefully the coin is what it is and that is what really matters. Very much luck to you! Be safe

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Of all the TPGs out there, ICG is the one that should be least likely to be opened and resealed - their entire patent is focused on that

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6029807

Claim 1: "a seal formed by welding the upper and lower sealing portion; and
    a stress contour formed separately from the seal and integrally with at least one of the bottom and the top portions, the stress contour operative to cause a permanent perceptible distortion in the security package after stress is applied to the seal."

and Claim 10: "placing the coin in the sealable security case at the sealing surfaces; and
    sealing the security case in a manner that applies sufficiently low force to the stress contour so as to prevent perceptibly altering the stress contour and in a manner that creates sufficient sealing so that the force required to break the seal will necessarily cause a perceptible alteration of the stress contour."

So my vote is Conder's alternate "... or they could have had access to the fake shells at the Morgan Mint."

Draft saved Draft deleted