1849 Large Cent Newcomb Help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Was hoping someone could help attribute the Newcomb variety of this Large Cent that is on its way to me from a recent auction. Any input on the grade would be appreciated as well. These are sellers photos which I will supplement when the coin arrives.

@John Wright might you be of some help?
    D71C7390-F5FD-4C63-9B18-6344F7E385F0.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Metzger

After doing a little digging, it looks to be Newcomb-3 with the telltale sign being the odd halos around the reverse elements. Any additional input on variety or on the rarity of this particular variety would be appreciated.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow , very nice coin !

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I agree with Mark N-3 and I would also say MS 60-64 might even be higher
    Beautiful beautiful LC

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Expensive year and that's all I know about it! Nice looking coin!

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would guess 65 or 66 but I'm not sure it would straight grade.

8. mrweaseluv

Mine is a VF Details EV dmg... nothing compared to yours.. (PS sorry pic hard to get closeups in slab without nasty reflections...
    20201108_205742_HDR (2).jpg 20201108_205753 (2).jpg

9. Mark Metzger

What red flags do you see that would keep it from straight grading? The color is a little peculiar so I am eager to get it 8n hand and see what it is all about. I’ll post photos when that happens.

10. Mark Metzger

The coin arrived and it is rather...interesting. It is beautiful but appears that it may have been lacquered. I would love input on possible next steps. I know acetone is one avenue.
    F4BF0BAC-717E-4992-AB57-3020B165AC51.jpeg 79595C6C-F32C-4CA4-90C9-0C135706C71C.jpeg 5263FE85-5D75-4A34-8CC5-FD82BB9B28BC.jpeg B4F7FCBF-0208-439D-ABC4-B18F27255DE8.jpeg

11. mrweaseluv

beautiful coin and yeah appears to have been coated with something... good luck on the conservation... Myself... I would start with boiling it in distilled water... if that doesn't take it off consider someing mild like VC to soak it in... with acetone the worst case you end up with a beautiful orange coin, but that too can be fixed either by ageing in sulfered paper envelope (as my nova is right now) or if you don't wanna wait 6 months for it to "tone" you can use quicker methods but those usualy detectable if you decide to have it graded

12. Mark Metzger

So I boiled it in distilled water and that didn’t change much. Then I gave it a bit of time in some acetone. Here are new photos.
    Before is on top, after is below.
    225FF20E-9DB6-4E3E-BFF7-A00DF36260E0.jpeg

13. mrweaseluv

That came out nice beautiful coin

14. Mark Metzger

One last shot in a different light after a brief application of VerdiCare
    E78393A4-353D-4817-98BF-883269500948.jpeg

15. mrweaseluv

is the blue really blue or light reflection?

16. Mark Metzger

It is really blue.

17. mrweaseluv

I've never seen blue like that.. looks like someone grafitti'd her face almost

18. mrweaseluv

a sulphate or an ammonia it seems.... If black copper oxide reacts with dilute sulfuric acid it produces copper(II) sulfate of a characteristic blue color. When it reacts with ammonia it produces even deeper, almost purplish blue. Copper combined with chlorine and water is yellowish green to cyan in color.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin has been messed with so many times. It will never straight grade.

Insider likes this.
  20. Mark Metzger

So here is a side by side of the three phases this coin has gone through. I’m a bit conflicted about how this has transpired. When the coin came to me it had an unnatural coating on it. The first step to remove that coating revealed the beginnings of the blue beneath. The next step revealed an even more pronounced blue. Now, there is plenty of debate about whether the blue was there all along or if it was created by the treatment. This article, http://www.simcocoins.com/toned-copper-coins-dont-spooked-ramblings-fools/
    Would suggest it has been there all along. Anyhow, here you go...
    569A299C-D568-431D-9FC6-B1BFCD50E39F.jpeg

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Your coin was corroded, lacquered, and improperly cleaned BEFORE you fixed it. Nice job but not worth grading IMO. Now, take your thumb and forefinger on both sides of your nose and "oil them up." Then rub your coin and the blue will disappear. If you collect copper items, you need a jewelers brush in your desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted