1849 California Gold Piece... 6k... Actual gold counterfit or token?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, May 2, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So, this was in a collection I inherited last year and I threw it in my black cabinet as at first glance I thought fake although I'm not too familiar with cali gold. Well, a buddy recently bought a $600 pm tester (it has a pen that squirts a small amount of an inert fluid on the metal and the pen reads a signal and the machine tells you the karat if it's real) and let me barrow it to play around with. Turns out my cali gold piece tests at 6k-7k yellow gold. So, I still think it's a fake correct?

Or is it a contemporary counterfit?

Or, since no denomination, I think I remember a thread about cali gold tokens made of real gold if memory serves so if it is, is this a token that's cataloged?

Anyway, curious what you guys think. Especially the cali gold or cali gold token experts (if we have any here) Thanks :)

20160501_180626.jpg 20160501_180640.jpg 20160501_180126.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Real California Gold always has a denomination on it . Also if it has a Bear on it it's a fake or copy to be sold to the tourist trade . Your piece was made for the tourist trade also at a time when they still had some gold . The last pieces were just plated . It does have some worth but nothing like compared to the ones that actually circulated as coins in the area .

Kirkuleez and Paul M. like this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ok so it is one of those tokens made of real gold. Any idea of value guys? I'm guessing $50 or less? And any idea of when it was produced?

5. rzage

I really don't know the cost . there's a good page on these but I'm having a problem finding it . Hopefully someone else will and your worth seems about right .

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The tester was likely just thrown off by the gold plating. It's clear from pics that this token is gilded/plated.

7. rzage

8. rzage

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, that look is what made me dismiss it initially. That tester has been spot on but I haven't tried anything plated yet

10. rzage

Guess you could try it on some known gold plate . Then as I understand it all goldplate isn't created equal . Some might have a thin wash of 10K while others might have a nice deep plate of .010+ inches of plate .

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted