1848 Sm Date Breen-1901 Fantasy

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Jul 21, 2017.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I upgraded my 1848 this morning (a real one) and saw this while checking the coinfacts app. I didn't know PCGS slabbed counterfeit coins and I don't recall seeing one listed right with the real thing before. I was expecting to find a red book variety I wasn't aware of and found this instead.

"Plain and simple, the 1848 Small Date Large Cent is a counterfeit, and probably a contemporary one. However, it has been accepted as a collectible coin by the copper community and brings strong prices whenever it appears at auction. Virtually all of the known examples are on over-sized planchets, often double-struck or overstruck on other coins, and at least two show one or more planchet clips. Breen knew of seven in 1988; today the population is 10-12 examples. The Dan Holmes collection (sold in 2011) contained three examples."

IMG_4845.PNG IMG_4843.PNG

Moekeever and Kirkuleez like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Well, PCGS doesn't slab other contemporary counterfeits, but they slab this one.

Interesting.

Honestly, we need a grading service that specializes in contemporary counterfeits.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They have one:
    NCI
    :)

CircCam and Kirkuleez like this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

IMG_2519.JPG

CircCam likes this.
  7. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

CircCam likes this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Great article, thanks!

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They slab Machins Mills pieces and those are contemporary counterfeits. They would slab a Vermont Ryder-5 and that is a contemporary counterfeit

Well they don't specialize in them but ICG will slab counterfeits. They use a special label for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted