1847 liberty seated $1 no motto

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cazador, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

Great day to everyone! I have an opportunity to purchase this coin but not sure of value because it has been previously cleaned. It seems to be XF with a mintage of 140,750 . Sorry i did not post pic of reverse came out to blurry. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks upload_2022-10-22_9-0-43.jpeg

kountryken and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

That looks closer to an AU grade, the head is very sharp and not faded, it could even be a very low MS. The cleaning doesn't seem too harsh, but I would still half the original value because of it, so around $300-500.

Randy Abercrombie and Cazador like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would pass on the coin.

Cazador likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I understand Larry’s hesitation and don’t disagree with him at all. Certainly the piece has been cleaned. I have in some cases used a negative point like that as a negotiating point on high dollar coins provided the piece appeals to me. And I would assume that if you posted it then it appeals to you.

ldhair likes this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that it is genuine, but you have to be carful with these when they are not certified. Believe it or not, the Chinese counterfeiters made a complete set of Seated Dollars complete with a counterfeit Dansco album to hold them. They usually had the wrong style of date since all of them were made with the same dies with different dates and mint marks.

By the way. All of these dollars are scarce, but the 1847 is one of the more common dates.

Cazador likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted