1847 Lg. Cent Pocket Piece/Window Sill Experiment

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Feb 23, 2018.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Have posted over time in the Post Your Pocket Pieces thread in CoinChat but I figured I'd make a thread to show the progression all in one place.

I picked up this cleaned cent specifically for this purpose and only later decided to do photos of the stages, so in lieu of taking them with my usual setup I just tried to match the first ones I took as best I could. The first two are the seller photos but when I got it, that's about how it looked in hand- bright, colorful and completely unnatural:

May 2017
    IMG_4611.jpg IMG_4612.jpg

For the next two months of summer, I kept it in my pocket full of random old coins every day while taking my three year old daughter to the park, then once there I tossed them all out here and there and let her treasure hunt. (I don't know if it's because of technology or what, but even on a military base full of thousands of kids, there's often no one at the parks. Gotta get creative!) I lost the coin in the wood chips and dirt more than once but we always managed to find it again. Alternated between that and keeping it on a wooden block on my kitchen window sill.

July 2017
    IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg

Two more months of the same:

September 2017
    33345776_Unknown.jpg 33345824_Unknown.jpg

Since September it has just sat on the window sill and I have handled/flipped the coin every so often.

February 2018 (Today)
    IMG_6883.JPG IMG_6903.JPG

So far so good overall, I think. Looking forward to taking her back out for another tour of treasure duty when the weather gets warmer and seeing how she looks in the fall! :):snaphappy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks nice. I would be afraid to put a soft copper coin in my pocket with a bunch of copper-nickel ones.

4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

It goes in with a bunch of old cull indian cents- closest I could get to antique circulation.

...Won't be jumping the gun today- snowing pretty good here which is strange for lowland Western Washington. Hope it clears up before my commute on Monday cause a couple inches sends the whole region into chaos.:nailbiting:

IMG_6149.JPG

lordmarcovan and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think it’s about at the point it’s recovered enough to straight grade

6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I remembered that I had an original 1847 (on right) here so I snapped these to compare:
    IMG_6907.JPG IMG_6910.JPG

Considering what it looked like when I got it, I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll never sell it cause it's tied to all the memories now... just need to decide when I want to call it a day and put it in a capsule instead of risking losing or dinging it I guess.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. oldwormwood

oldwormwood Collector

That is quite the transformation. Thanks for sharing!

CircCam likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted