1846 Seated Liberty Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnny54321, Aug 22, 2010.

1. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Hmm, looking at their other coins, alot of them are cleaned or problem based.

4. umn25

umn25 ANA #3154232

Executive coin is my personal coin dealer, I trust them with my money. The head guy and his sons there is extremely knowledgable when it comes to coins. As for the dollar, it looks like a good hole-filler.

5. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

The dollar looks cleaned

6. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

I have heard bad rap about this place from Doug

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I don't know anything about the company personally but that dollar is at best a hole filler. Buy certified and bust it out and hold onto the sticker. Thats the best advice I can give you.

8. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

The coin looks cleaned, has distracting hits on it and shows obverse rim dings. I would avoid it.

9. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

Just say no...better ways to spend you money...oh and ignore the guy that posted above me as he knows nothing about coins ;)

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Johnny, You can do better. It's going to take patience -- this is a VERY hard type to find nice, in my experience.

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

They grade the coin VF/XF.
    What a joke.
    It can't be both.
    And if they can't tell which then avoid them.

12. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

that 1846 is harshly cleaned. the even bigger problem is that most seated liberty dollars are cleaned or damaged. for that amount of money (400) you should be able to find a problem free VF25-35 no motto SLD it might just take a while.

13. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

Ok, well thanks for the advice. I will pass.
    Leadfoot, you're absolutely right...it is tough to find a nice XF Seated Dollar period. The problem here is that many I've seen in slabs are also cleaned, and since I plan to remove it to put in my 7070 album(the very last hole), I am more ansy about purchasing one that is slabbed and then be out serious money when I remove it since it may not reslab again.

Anyways, this is the LAST coin needed for my 7070, and I havent purchased anything for this album in months. My budget is around $500-$600 for a nice XF no motto seated dollar....so I will consider any suggestions from the wise members of this forum to aid me in my hunt. thanks!

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

No kidding. I've been after one for over five years, IIRC. Nabbed a trade dollar a few years ago and am stalled on the seated dollar.

I have wantlists on e-bay, teletrade, david lawrence, and heritage that inform me of offerings. You might consider something similar.

I've even had two examples sent to me on approval, but alas I didn't like either coin in-hand. :(

Good luck in your hunt and be patient! The right coin will appear...Mike

16. tenacious

tenacious Member

My one and only experience with The Executive Coin Company was disappointing.

I bought a Seated Half that from their picture looked like a nicely toned coin. But when I got it the coin was dipped white. Their picture was wildly inaccurate. The picture presented the coin much darker than reality.

Looking at their other pictures many have the same "toned" look. I imagine those will also be dipped white.

If the darkening of their pictures isn't intentional, then they don't care to try to portray the coins accurately. Either way they are not someone I want to buy from.

I returned the coin and will not buy from them again.

17. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Experience has shown me that certain coins are hard to get in XF or AU.
    Either they were well circulated or preserved.
    It took me quite a while to find a 1915-S Buffalo in XF.
    And at the moment I'm on the lookout for a 1915-S Lincoln in XF or AU.
    [Was there something about the 1915 time period and coin circulation?]

My 1846 No Motto dollar (for my type set) is an XF-45.
    It may(?) be one of those long ago lightly cleaned ones that PCGS graded.
    So it's going to stay in the slab.
    I've had a few other coins that I cracked out in the past that wouldn't reslab.
    Don't want to go through that again.

Draft saved Draft deleted