1846 med. date half. Will it straight grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stevearino, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    I am assembling coins to submit to PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. This is one of the coins I'm uncertain about (I'll be posting several others over the next couple of weeks).

IMG_2178.JPG fullsizeoutput_11c0.jpeg I'm guessing about AU50 with a previous dip. What do you think? And will it straight grade in your opinion? I'm thinking PCGS for this one.

Steve

Johndoe2000$ and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Can you retake pics? They're too blurry and underlit.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree. Obverse is blurry and reverse can't see the fields.
    Can't determine from these images.

5. Stevearino

Will do later this evening.

Steve

6. Stevearino

3497B8F8-8832-4F3C-939B-C85676D7311C.jpeg 587B9FB9-E19F-4C9D-9ACF-D34DEB829756.jpeg 0C1FC6F4-3AA3-47FF-A3C5-4ECE7FFB9197.jpeg C0EB893B-0130-4D49-AFA4-79DDBE053C70.jpeg Here’s another attempt.

Johndoe2000$ and C-B-D like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

AU50 sounds right. Not sure about cleaning. Pretty coin and better date, tho!

chascat and Stevearino like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks harshly cleaned on the obverse.......

SchwaVB57 and Stevearino like this.
  9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think au 50 too. Not sure if it’s cleaning or jut heavy handling marks. It could go either way

chascat and Stevearino like this.
  10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hope I'm wrong, but AU Details - Harshly Cleaned.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There are hairlines which indicate an abrasive cleaning. This should not straight-grade.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

+2 on the cleaning

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Curious why you want it slabbed.

14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I'll go AU-50 to 53 on wear but I think the right obverse field shows heavy cleaning scratches and the left field to a lesser degree. Any previous dip is probably not going to hurt its chances of being graded but I think the scratches are what's going to get it detailed.

I have an otherwise nice AU-50 1808 half that was previously gently dipped and has some cleaning scratches that are hard to detect without a glass. It made it into a small ANACS holder sometime in the 90's without getting a details grading.

The scratches on your coin are much more noticeable and distracting to the naked eye.

I have seen many early coins slabbed that were cleaned gently long ago. It seems (and more experienced voices are certainly welcome to debate this) that with the early copper and silver the grading services are more lenient regarding the artifacts from cleaning so long as the results are not clearly distracting to eye appeal.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think from the photos, it would probably land in a details holder, due to what looks like cleaning (right obv field) and/or scratch (L obv field). It looks xf/au with the original skin stripped off.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Stevearino

@Mountain Man, I was hoping that it being a better date being slabbed would help its sale. I already have a MS64 seated half for my type set, so wanted to make this one as salable as possible.

Having read all of the above posts, I'm going to try to sell it raw. Thanks everyone!

Steve

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted