1846 large cent, opinions please

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joshua Lemons, May 4, 2020.

1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I purchased this cent a few months back. It looks good, but my question is, does it seem as though it's been recolored. In hand it is a deep chocolate color. Sorry for the messy photos. I can try and get better ones if needed. Polish_20200504_104651354.jpg Polish_20200504_104607975.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is that your photo or the sellers?
    It's out of focus. The color of the coin is not coming through. The coin should be brown or chocolate. This photo makes it appear gray/black.
    Need clearer photos.
    Recolored, hard to tell from these photos. But it is rare to see this type of coin without any crud. Probably been cleaned. But maybe not harshly, although given the condition, there should be luster.
    I would guess that it was an XF coin, and it has been cleaned up to try to sell it as AU.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  4. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

The coin is a deep chocolate color, let me get better photos

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Looks like a cleaned and recolored coin to me, but I'm not an expert so wait for more comments.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me it looks cleaned and recolored. On the obverse there are a couple of dings. The image has a light reflecting on them so check those dings. They should be a bit different coloring.

7. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

If those pictures accurately represent the coin, it is definitely recolored.

Draft saved Draft deleted