1846 dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, May 26, 2016.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You're a sneaky one. Based on your questions, I thought for sure it detail-graded, if it graded at all. I agree with the others who are suggesting that's a little on the high side on the money for that one. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad coin, just a bad market grade.

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

While I think the coin's details are vf30, I doubt that it should be in a graded holder.
    When I bought the coin, the seller's photos were pretty standard ones, and I really didn't notice the rim cut. It was there ,but I did not go out of my way to look for it. I was more interested in the fields and the devices being relatively unmarked and they were. Once I had the coin in front of me, on tilting the holder a bit I could see a substantial dig, a little crater, really, in the edge behind the rim cut. After I saw that I could not get it out of my head and today I returned the coin for a refund.
    While the TPG's will overlook a rim bump or 2, as they should on these large heavy coins that actually circulated, I think damage like this should be noted. So I guess you could call this both a "caveat emptor" and a "mea culpa" thread; I should have looked more closely before buying.
    As to the surfaces, they are fine for a circulated coin. In my photos I increased the contrast some to bring out the details, and I think it made the skin look funky. Sorry about that.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. ksparrow

Sorry, I wasn't trying to lay a trap for anyone. I was attempting to make this an educational experience (it was for me) so that folks would think "Should it grade? Did it? Why or why not? Is it ok to just accept the TPG's purchased opinion?"
    I'll tell you that I was leaning toward sending it back for the last several days, and the preponderance of opinions here convinced me that I made the right decision. Thanks all!

Paul M., eddiespin and Insider like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I ignore slabs, and only look at the coin when buying. I only use slabs to get a ballpark idea of whether I want to look closer at the coin.

ksparrow and Paul M. like this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You did excellent, my opinion. You made it tough. You had me going. Good work. But I will remember, you are a sly one. :D And we will all remember, we are supposed to be having fun. ;)

Seattlite86 and SuperDave like this.
  7. ksparrow

OK eddiespin, I'll lay low for a while, and just when you're getting complacent.... LOL

Seattlite86 and eddiespin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted