1843 LARGE CENT VARIETIES

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by STU, Jan 12, 2014.

1. STU

STU Active Member

I HAVE TWO 1843 LARGE CENTS CANT FIGURE HOW TO TELL WHAT VARIETY THEY ARE
    GOING BY THE POST IT SEEMS I HAVE ONE SMALL DATE AS THE 8&3 ARE THE SAME SIZE THE 1 IS LARGER WITH MEDIUM LETTERS AS THE LEAF POINT GOES OVER HALF WAY PAST THE A AND LARGE STARS AND ONE WITH LARGE DATE IT APPEARS ALL THE 1834 NUMBERS ARE AT LEAST THE SAME SIZE LARGE STARS AND MEDIUM LETTERS AS THE LEAF POINT IS MORE THAN HALF WAY PAST THE A IN AMERICA IS THERE A GOOD GUIDE TO BUY ANY IDEA ON VALUE I AM NEW THIS TYPE OF ERRORS OR VARIETIES THANKS FOR ANY INFO

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

1. Welcome to Coin Talk!

2. Post pictures.

3. TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.

jmon, Jwt708 and non_cents like this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are 17 varieties that year and the date is the same size on all of them I believe. Eleven of the varieties are petite heads and 6 of them are mature heads.

Wait a minute you started calling it an 1843 and then later called it an 1834. Which is it? The 1841's are late dates and very difficult to tell apart because the dies are completely hubbed and things like leaf positions and stars are the same on all of the. But the 1834 does come with differing leaf positions date and star sizes etc because the dies were hand done. The 34's are easy to tell apart (7 varieties) So which one do you have?

And yeah, kill the caps lock.

5. STU

STU Active Member

sorry everybody they both are 1834 at 63 my eyes don't work the greatest anymore
    as for the two I have one is small date one is large as the 8 is smaller than the 1 on one coin and larger than the one on the other one then the leaf in the last a is more than half way past the middle of the center but then I am lost as to tell anything else what does n1 n2 n5 mean thanks

6. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Newcomb 1, Newcomb 2, and Newcomb 5 are three different varieties of large cents as defined by Newcombe.

7. STU

STU Active Member

ok got that thanks but now how do I tell if it is a rare variety or a common one I can tell the difference in dates but the rest kind of gets me lost thanks for the info

8. PennyGuy

Each variety of Large Cent has been assigned a rarity number. For example:
    1834 N-1, Rarity 1 (Over 2,000 estimated)
    1834 N-2, Rarity 1 (Over 2,000 estimated)
    1834 N-3, Rarity 1+ (Over 2,000 estimated)
    1834 N-4, Rarity 2 (601-2,000 estimated)
    1834 N-5, Rarity 5 (46-60 estimated)
    1834 N-6, Rarity 3 (201-600 estimated)
    1834 N-7, Rarity 7+ (4-6 Known)
    Per "United States Large Cents 1816-1839" by William C. Noyes. Copyright 1991 by the Autor.

9. STU

STU Active Member

thanks a lot for the info thought I knew a lot about coins but still learning with the errors I will try to see if I can get that copy somewhere

10. PennyGuy

That book is one of two for Middle Date cents ( 1816-1839) The other is "The Cent Book" by John Wright. By joining Early American Coppers (EAC) (see: http://www.eacs.org/ ) you will be able to buy these books at quite a discount directly from the authors.

Yes, these books are expensive compared to many others in the hobby, but for the old copper enthusiast they are invaluable.

11. STU

STU Active Member

yes I see how expensive they are but they are very valuable with info will see about joining American coppers thanks for the info

Draft saved Draft deleted