1843 half dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, May 12, 2018.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Busting up an old type set, sent a handful of the most interesting coins for grading and attribution. This one had some interesting edge toning and what appeared to be original surfaces. Came back xf40, I can live with that. Problem is I know very little about this variety. Is it desirable? Does it carry a premium? Any thoughts? IMG_20180512_193316.jpg

Attached Files:

SchwaVB57 and Nathan401 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

don't know, but that is a sweet coin.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I was meaning to look this one up, ...this morning I'm busy getting a chocolate fruit tray together for my 95 y/o mother in law who's in a nursing home. Later today I will give it a look.

johnmatt, Stevearino and C-B-D like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I don't have any references to this series wish I could help.
    Good looking Half.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It is a minor die variety from my references doesn't add much or any value. I believe if you google the date and WB-103 you may fine so e auction results.
    PCGS does list it no information to support a finding.

johnmatt likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

My 1993 edition of Liberty Seated Half Dollars by Wiley and Bugert, says WB-103 has a repunched 4. They list 2 other repunched dates as well, but none of them are very dramatic. Looks like it's just a listed variety and not something rare or desirable (at least in my opinion from looking at the book).

@Paddy54 recommendation of searching auction results may shed some light, but IMO I don't see the WB-103 designation adding anything to the value. (Please Note: I'm not an active collector of seated coins, so take that into consideration when reading my comments)

johnmatt and Stevearino like this.
  9. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Nice coin, thanks for sharing!
    From the PCGS Coin Facts page I found the following auction prices for PCGS graded coins:

3/6/18 - PCGS $144.00
    Lot# 23924 - HA
    9/24/17 - PCGS Genuine $132.00
    Lot# 21962 - HA
    9/4/16 - PCGS $141.00
    Lot# 24142 - HA
    8/21/16 - PCGS Genuine $152.75
    Lot# 30140 - HA

And the following information for the variety from the NGC web site:

1843/1843 O FS-301 50C MS
    NGC Attribution: FS-301
    Cross Reference
    VarietyPlus: VP-001
    Wiley-Bugert: WB-103
    Diagnostics
    The entire date was repunched, with a clockwise rotation from the first impression.

[​IMG]

With the economic depression of 1837-42 finally concluded, mintages rose dramatically in 1843, and this issue is among the more plentiful dates of the 1840s. Mint State examples, while not truly common, are more available than for earlier Seated Liberty Half Dollar.

Bill Bugert's die study book of Philadelphia Mint coins confirms an amazing 37 die marriages comprised of 18 obverses and 29 reverses. Two collars were identified, these having reed counts of 144 and 145, respectively. There are several minor varieties, but these have attracted little interest. (My high lights)

johnmatt likes this.
  10. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

You guys are awesome, lots of knowledge available here. Thanks so much for all your help. thumbs_up_married_with_children.gif

Dynoking likes this.
  11. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Very Nice! Awesome coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted