1842 Seated Liberty Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Get Real, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

For some reason, that sort of insulting behavior is tolerated around here to an extent. I have employed the Ignore feature for the person who's been posting that, and as a result I don't see his posts.

I should have looked closer to the reverse the first time around. In your much-better recent set of images, an absolute dealbreaker of a feature appears plainly - the absence of any detail in the center and at the top curve of the eagle's right (viewer's left) wing.

You'll never see that on a Seated Dollar. There is nothing field-level inside the wing. That's an area of relatively low relief, meaning it doesn't get weakly struck, doesn't wear away during the die's life, and remains clearly detailed down into VG grade on all examples of the type. The coin is counterfeit, and there is no doubt in my mind.

Like I said earlier, 1842 is a popular date for it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Well!!! You made me go back and look much closer at the details of that coin and as much as it hurts me to admit, I do believe you are correct. FAKE!!!! It is devoid of several details in low places. Did they really make these fakes out of silver? I know for a fact that is of a high percentage silver (90% at least). I have never paid more than $40 for any of my coins and I know I didn't even pay close to that for this one, it's not in my focus of interest. I don't recall what I paid for it exactly but it would have been purchased in an online auction about 12 years ago that no longer exist and I'm sure I didn't pay much more than melt which means that I'm still up on this one with current silver prices.

Oh well, I live to collect another day!

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I believe your coin is a counterfeit and not an especially good one. :sorry: I'll bet the weight is off too.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yes, some were. Heck, they could have stolen the silver, or the money to buy the silver with.

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

This also puts that damage mark in context. Fakes are often purposely damaged or cleaned to make people not want to submit them to a TPG where they will be busted.
    The fact that the dentils were disconnected from the rim shows this was mostly likely a transfer die - some portion of the dentils was left off when the die was copied from an original coin. This is common with transfer die copies, even when the counterfeiter does their best to center it perfectly.

7. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

Since I've been collecting for 64+ years it does not take a genius to figure out that none of the "modern day gadgets" were available when I started collecting either. There were also no coin dealers around where I lived, for I lived in a rural area. But there were other collectors and I learned from them about whatever type of coin they collected; some Buffalo Nickels, some Lincoln Cents and one fellow Mercury Dimes. I couldn't afford to collect everything, but I still sought the knowledge from another HUMAN BEING NOT A BOOK!

It is a sad thing that you are the only person on this thread who is so full of himself that he cannot understand that everyone else thinks you're in the wrong. Arrogance never earns friends or respect, no matter how many stupid little Emojis/Emoticons you add to your comments to mock others and make yourself look cute.

8. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and assistance on this coin even though the outcome was not great! Now I will post in another thread another one of my coins, hopefully it gets greater feedback.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Yes.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted