1842 Seated Liberty Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Get Real, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Speaking of "Mumbo Jumbo"...Nice post, attack the messenger :bigtears::bigtears:.

Too bad it took @KoinJester and not YOU a day to answer his question. My answer would have been much longer and EVEN THEN not been as thorough as he would have found (INCLUDING PICTURES) on the Internet with a few keystrokes.

That's why I :angelic: told him where to get the answer to his question.:jawdrop: IMO, THAT'S NOT A HOLIER THAN THOU ANSWER. If he chose to comment on my lack of manners rather than do some research on his own - so be it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Has anyone else considered that if this were a die clash, it wouldn't make sense? Since the dies are inverted, both the obverse and reverse are therefore indented and if the two dies slammed together, they would've hit elsewhere. For example, I would expect to see some eagle wing between the stars and Seated Liberty before seeing anything on Liberty herself.

Paddy54 and Stevearino like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Absolutely, I pointed out that you were being rude. "I don't have time to play teacher" We are here to help each other out, not go out of our way to explain why we refuse to do so. Nowhere in your monologue of how awesome you are and how dumb the questioner is did you manage to come close to being helpful. If you don't want to give the man an answer, at least be generous enough to be quiet so someone else can. Now, since I too am filling this post with non-helpful material, I will bow out of this conversation and wish you a good day.

Paddy54, Ed23 and Stevearino like this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Yea I mentioned that earlier in this thread. Doesn't matter much though, as I'm fairly certain this coin is a modern counterfeit.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Better images would be cool. I also question if the coin is real. The reverse rims, the claws and the leaves look odd.

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Yes. Post 12.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While not chop marks, it looks as if someone stamped that coin intentionally, to put their mark on it. For what reason IDK. To verify that it is real, to protect their property as if you were putting your name on an old record album or a book.
    Coin has been cleaned at some point. I doubt it gets a straight grade.

9. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

I do not see any evidence of this coin being a fake. I would have to examine it in hand to tell for sure. I also cannot tell from photos whether a coin has been whizzed and I believe the owner of the coin has already said "not" whizzed. As for the juvenile banter about a question asked about whizzed I find that any person who had an older coin collector take the time to tell him the answer to his questions when he was learning about coins should ALSO take the time with newer collectors to answer their questions ... I always do. It helps encourage new collectors. I would much rather have someone tell me the answer to their question AND where I can find more info IF I want more, hat have someone throw a book or the internet at me and tell me to find out for myself! That "go look it up" kind of response does NOT encourage anyone!!!

10. Insider

... unless they are self reliant, curious, and not lazy. :D

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The original images are kind of funky and cause questions. I overlaid the reverse in the Gimp and it lines up nicely; didn't do the obverse because the reverse worked so well and I didn't want to get caught up in date positioning questions. Call me "cautiously optimistic," even though experience tells me this is one of the most popularly counterfeited dates.

12. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Looking at the coin again it seems that the denticles at the top of both sides aren't connected to the rim. Maybe just the picture but that's a big red flag

13. Insider

Very true; yet, so far, most counterfeits of this date are very crude, underweight, and very granular - of the modern "Chinese" junk type. The OP's coin shows micro granularity in the blow-up (that's not good), while the original (out-of-focus) photo looks like a genuine coin.

A magnified photo of the date (already requested) should tell us either way if this coin is genuine OR a brand new very deceptive fake of similar manufacture as the deceptive Trade dollars from the early 2000's.

For now, IMO, the members have reason to question the coin.

14. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

15. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

Apply this to a younger you ... are you saying you were not self-reliant and were lazy because you dared ask an older collector for info out of curiosity and a genuine desire to learn? I'm into my 64th year of collecting coins and I'm still very curious and very interested in learning more and I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything. But I do know I'd not be happy with the kind of response given that other questioner, if given to me, as he was just swatted away like a fly that was buzzing one's face. Very disrespectful if done to another human being, not so much if done to a fly.

16. Insider

Thanks for the links; however, magnified photos of the OP coin are what IS NEEDED. The full size photos in the OP are WORTHLESS (not sharp) to use when comparing photos of a genuine specimen!

17. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Here is a close up of the date. I will try to take some better pictures of the coin later today.
    1D-LSD-1842X-MS63-XXX-1005-Er1.jpg

I am new to this forum but not to coin collecting so I have to ask, is it normal here to hijack threads for personal rants and tirades?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Insider

@Ed23

:rolleyes: I truly wish people could read! :facepalm: Especially the older members who like to give advice. :(

Ed posted: "Apply this to a younger you ... are you saying you were not self-reliant and were lazy because you dared ask an older collector for info out of curiosity and a genuine desire to learn?"

As I originally posted...in my day, virtually all of us were SELF TAUGHT. Mentors were few. I don't recall even speaking with an older numismatist about anything he wished to share until I was in my twenties. I quickly found that very many of the dealers I knew were ignorant about most characteristics on coins, the minting process, and authenticity (THINGS HAVE NOT CHANGED). I WAS LUCKY to know a dealer who was a very conservative grader. When I looked in a grading guide, his coins matched the description. Remember, when I was a young collector, there were no seminars, there were few books and NONE as specialized as we have today, NO INTERNET, virtually nothing.

I also posted where the questioner could find an answer to his question. Do you know the difference between giving a man a fish and teaching a man to fish?

Ed continued: "I'm into my 64th year of collecting coins and I'm still very curious and very interested in learning more and I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything."

Ditto, read my profile...I learn many "new" things about coins EVERY DAY!

Ed said: "But I do know I'd not be happy with the kind of response given that other questioner, if given to me, as he was just swatted away like a fly that was buzzing one's face. Very disrespectful if done to another human being, not so much if done to a fly."

So sorry about your feelings. If I were the OP, I would have looked up "Whizzing" as I was told and then given me a "LIKE." :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

19. Insider

@Get Real posted "I am new to this forum but not to coin collecting so I have to ask, is it normal here to hijack threads for personal rants and tirades?"

Yes, it's a personality thing. Some people like to play "arbitrator" or the "neighborhood busy body" who wants everything done as they approve. It is much easier to post about feelings, and correctness of "tone" than to add something to a thread. Often a topic gets sidetracked into humor or even gardening! Most of the people here have really neat life experiences and it gets both informative and entertaining when they share them.

This thread is an example, while some of us are throwing pebbles, others are sticking to the topic. ;)

NOW I HATE TO BE PICKY BUT: the photo is still not sharp enough. The close up posted showing the mark WAS SHARP. In that photo, I could actually see tiny raised pimples on the surface. If you have access, your coin should weigh between 26.4 and 26.7 grams.

20. Seattlite86

Thanks guys, I missed that, sorry.

21. Get Real

Get Real Active Member

Ok here is another attempt at better pictures, this 250k file size and lighting is killing me!!!

Hope this helps.

By the way, I do have a very accurate 3 decimal place, gram scales here somewhere and as soon as I find that sneaky little guy I will weigh this coin. Right now all I have available is a 30lb scale which does read in grams as well but its not very accurate such little weight. I can tell you with absolute certainty that the coin is silver, not plated, solid silver!

1842 Obv.jpg 1842 Rev.jpg
    1842 Date.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted