1840 O Reverse of 1838 half dollar? Value?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charles1997, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

I bought this from my local coin shop the other day, it was drilled and polished... Very unfortunate, but it was really cheap and thought I'd like to have it. Today I was looking at it closer, and I believe it is the 1840 O rev of 38. Any ideas? And if so, what would the value be in a coin so damaged?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charles1997

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That's a pretty rare coin! It is in fact the reverse of 1838, and I would still value it at $150-$200. Those are super scarce.

5. Charles1997

Even with its damage?

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yes! It's that rare.

7. Charles1997

Oh wow. Want to know how much I paid for it?

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

$12

9. Charles1997

Very close, $15! I'm super excited about this. Is it worth being graded?

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Only if you want to erase any doubt about the variety. But it's clearly the reverse of 38...

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. Charles1997

Thanks for the help!

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Cool find! At first I was going to ask how you knew it was from New Orleans since the mintmark was gone but apparently these don't have mintmarks to start with.

15. Charles1997

Yeah, the capped busy had the mint marks on the front of the coin

16. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Most collectors refer to it as a "medium letters" reverse as it was thought to be a product of the Philadelphia mint for years. I would probably pay $15 for one but at the same time, think that is a fair price for a VG with such a large hole.

17. Charles1997

It is the 1840 O reverse of 1838. Check it out on PCGS coin facts

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you understood the man's post, it's clear he is familiar with the coin/variety. If bothered by his value estimate, he's certainly entitled to his opinion, plus the fact is that not everyone everywhere would be willing to pay the earlier estimate. A coin like this, particularly in this condition, in order to achieve it's maximum potential, needs to be placed in front of the "right" buyer. There's certainly and demand and market for it though.

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Your opinion - your right, of course - doesn't change the fact that Heritage has only ever offered 5 attributed examples of this variety out of 210 1840-O's over the last 25 years. This is one_scarce_variety where the rubber meets the road, a $1500+ coin in XF and even with a hole - hole isn't blocking anything, we know there's no mint mark :) - I'm thinking $150 is a bit conservative.

20. Charles1997

I just miss understood what he was saying, I thought he disagreed that it wasn't the rev of 38 [emoji23]

21. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Excellent find.......... congrats

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted