1839 gold medal called the "most shocking" discovery in years

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KBBPLL, Mar 28, 2022.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

1839 gold medal of Revolutionary War general called the "most shocking and important discovery" in years
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/daniel...l-1839-discovery-auction/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

Interesting story. The original medal, designed by Augustin Dupre, was struck in Paris in 1789 to honor Daniel Morgan, stolen from a bank vault in 1818 and never recovered, restruck in 1839, bought by J.P. Morgan around 1885, and not seen since. It reappeared in recent months in its original US Mint case.

The SP63 grade makes me chuckle a little...

233290007.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Most brilliant maneuvers at Cowpens by Morgan. Love the history. Glad they found it (medal).

4. green18

He was at Saratoga too.......

5. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Looks like the restrike I have in pewter. Only I like that one better.
    1781GenDanielMorganBattleOfCowpens1973USMintGallery.jpg

Hoky77 and green18 like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It just "reappeared" ??? :wideyed:

7. green18

8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

The auction listing has more detail than the CBS article. It's possible that the original medal is at the bottom of the Ohio river. Or melted down, or who knows, of course. One of the bank robbers, Joseph Pluymart, escaped five times (!) and was on the run for 10 years afterwards.

The story of this 1839 restrike is also quite interesting. And what I summarized originally from the CBS article was wrong - it passed "out of the family" at some point after 1914 when Jesse Neville died, not 1885. Then "it was acquired from a descendent of J. Pierpont Morgan, Jr" but the chain of ownership seems deliberately murky, perhaps to conceal the identity of the current owner.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...after-dupre-betts-593-julian-mi-7-loubat-8-sp

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is one of the Bronze pieces that were made in France after the dies were re-created for the replacement gold medal. These pieces are scarce in their own right.

Dan Morgan(2) O.JPG Dan Morgan(2) R.JPG

This one was struck from the dies at the Philadelphia Mint, probably in the 1860s.

Dan Morgan O.JPG Dan Morgan R.JPG

Most collectors and art critics think that this is the most attractive of all of the Comitia American medals.

The original medal was made from dies by Augustin Dupre. His best known work among American collectors is the Libertas Americana medal. There are about 200 of these known, but their great popularity as made them quite expensive.

Libertas Americana O.jpg Libertas Americana R.jpg

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Wow! I probably couldn't afford any one of the "coins", but it sure would look nice in my collection.

johnmilton likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Love that design. Thanks for the post.

12. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

That's an incredible discovery! Funny this happens right after I buy my first Comitia...

Draft saved Draft deleted