1838 large cent.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Joy Matherne, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Joy Matherne

Joy Matherne Pro life for coins...

20181004_161416.jpg My oldest coin so far. 20181004_161402.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Very nice circulated large cent.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Congrats, a nice looking clean coin full of history. I wish coins could talk.

5. Joy Matherne

You and me both

6. Joy Matherne

Thank you

7. Joy Matherne

Thank you

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe it is a N-14 which is an R-4+ coin, the third scarcest variety of the year. Not worth a large premium, but maybe 50% more than the common variety money.

Joy Matherne likes this.
  9. Joy Matherne

Where can I go to learn this I had no clue it was even a third scarcest

10. Joy Matherne

That's gracious of you to give it an N-16 I found where to read about this and I will be sending it off to be graded and thank you

11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Not really a candidate for grading but a nice circulated example IMHO

12. Joy Matherne

Ok

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. I would not send the coin in for grading.

14. Joy Matherne

Ok I haven't sent any in yet and I am supposed to get the first 5 coins sent for free just thought it would be a good candidate

15. Joy Matherne

So it's worth 2 cents

16. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

More like $20

17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

That coin has really seen a lot of history and it was minted in an era of economic ruin. The Panic of 1837 sent shock waves throughout the global economy and prosperity didn't return again for some time. Newly elected president Van Buren had only held office for 14 or so days when everything suddenly exploded. Some blamed Andrew Jackson's veto of the Second Bank of the United States' Charter; others said that the 1830s resembled the 1920s in wild speculation and general irresponsible excess. Whatever the cause, those were glum days. Anyone in that time would have probably loved to find and possess that cent. Things did look a little better in 1838, so perhaps the coin saw some relatively happier times.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I said N-14 not N-16, big difference. An N-16 in that condition just might be worth sending in. But it wouldn't have to be because it would find a ready buyer raw.

halfcent1793 and Heavymetal like this.
  19. Joy Matherne

Sorry typo thought that's what I put

20. Joy Matherne

Hey I took this coin to a dealer and he said there's only one variety of this year can you point me to a book or somewhere too look

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is only one variety listed in the Redbook (A Guidebook of United States coins by R. S. Yeoman) There are 16 varieties for this year.

The 1838 large cent is considered to be part of the group called the "Middle dates" this is the group from 1816 to 1839. There are three books that cover this range. United States Large Cents 1816 - 1839 by William Noyes, The Cent Book by John Wright, and United States Copper Cents 1816 - 1857 by Howard Newcomb. The Newcomb book was the first published, it came out in 1944 and the varieties are known by their Newcomb numbers. The Cent Book and United States Large Cents 1816 - 1839 both came along about the same time in 1992. The Noyes and Wright books are both excellent and are a little easier to use than Newcomb's book. (Personally I prefer Wrights book) Newcomb's book is readily available in reprint form and costs form $25 to $50. Wright's is much harder to find but is available from the author for $100. Noyes book is difficult to find used but is available from literature dealer Charlie Davis for $170.

If you don't want to go that route though, Newcomb and Wright's books are availble for download online for free.

Newcomb's book
    https://archive.org/details/USCopperCentsNewcomb/page/n0

Wright's book
    https://archive.org/details/centbook181618390000john/page/n0

Draft saved Draft deleted