1838 LARGE CENT. VARIETY N-16?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coins776, Aug 17, 2013.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

76b.jpg 76c.jpg i tried looking for photos of an n-16 online to compare and i only could find one photo of the obverse, (i have not been able to connect to goldberg auctions online catalogs for the past few days, the web pages won't display) any opinions about this coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Can you just make 1 thread and include all the coins you need help on? Seeing multiple threads asking for help is a bit overwhelming. Thanks!

mackwork and non_cents like this.
  4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

5. coins776

coins776 no title

i think that this coin is variety n-2. the center dot on the reverse is doubled.

6. mark_h

Yep - I do believe you are correct. I did not notice that the other day.

7. coins776

coins776 no title

i think that this coin might be n-36. i am not sure. 77b.jpg 77c.jpg

8. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Date position looks wrong for an N36, the date on yours is slightly more to the left then an N36. Sharper pictures would help, but I am pretty sure it's not a match. Is there a spur up to the left from the E in CENT? The N36 die marriage was short and that spur is always visible, even on low grade examples.

coins776 likes this.
  9. coins776

coins776 no title

there is a small nick type of mark near the upper left over the top of the E in CENT. now that you mention the spur i noticed something else on the reverse of this coin, it looks like the bottom left of the E in ONE has a pointed type curl. i could not find this on any of the 1851 large cent varieties that i researched.

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

The spur should be up to the left from the right side of the top of that E in CENT:

http://early-copper.com/coinpics/51n36.jpg

Better pictures may help, but often in hand is the only way to attribute worn late dates.

11. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Here is another picture of a low grade N36 I cherrypicked off ebay. Again, note the date position, particularly the relationship between the 1s and the dentils as well as the spur up from the E. The spur is probably the most prominent reverse attribution point.

1851n36.jpg

coins776 likes this.
  12. coins776

coins776 no title

82b.jpg 82c.jpg
    thanks for the info. i think that this 1801 large cent is s-221 but i can't see the bottom part of the fraction on this coin. i looked through many of the 1801 large cent varieties and the spacing of LIBERTY seems closest to s-221.

13. coins776

coins776 no title

i can't figure out what variety this 1800 large cent is. 84b.jpg 84c.jpg

14. mark_h

I am not sure anyone could attribute it - at least from the pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted