1838 large cent looks to real to me?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 25, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

Hello all!

I have this 1838 large cent I’m getting ready to list later this evening and after doing my typical weighing I do with my coins I started to think that this coin looks to good? Everything is where it’s supposed to be such as diameter and weight. I can’t figure it out maybe the details? I’m not sure what do you guys think? Maybe it just looks good and I’m getting paranoid with a few fakes I’ve received over the last few weeks.

thanks in advance! 86F0F07A-8ACB-42F6-BBB3-F9936302E169.jpeg B9BE23D7-FCFA-4330-80DF-1A414991055D.jpeg B69E883D-DF37-4707-A869-5152BA8106D9.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Looks good to me, it probably seems suspicious because of the high details + the pores.

AirborneReams likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

She looks innocent enough to me.

6. AirborneReams

Alright I’ll take that, yea I thinks it’s just the details. The most common fakes I receive tend to be the older large cents..

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looks to. Be a dug coin...and its real.

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

the poresness and the blackish color makes me think it was dipped in lye at some point... otherwise it looks great. I doubt it's a copy with 38 being one of the more common years.

9. AirborneReams

Is that from the black around it you’d think? I feel like there would be more damage no?

Everett Guy likes this.
  10. mrweaseluv

the corosion is even over the whole coin that's why i think dipped rather then dug

11. AirborneReams

That makes sense. It is in fairly nice condition. I’m also listing the 1838 half dollar which looks AU or higher are those more common as well?

12. mrweaseluv

not sure about halves.. not really up to date on those, but I seem to remember when I got my 38 there was a fairly wide choice, but I would check going prices before selling either

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That would depend ,what type of soil it was burried in....how deep? How long?

14. mrweaseluv

I would say on the LC that you could probablly get an easy 50 but might go as high as 100

15. AirborneReams

I just feel like the detail i
    we will see! But I think right around there is a fair estimation

16. AirborneReams

Either way wouldn’t the detail be affected to some noticeable degree or are there soils that would not cause any difference in the coins aesthetics?

17. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

It's nice when you come across a Coronet Head and are still able to see the hair at the forehead area. Mine is all worn down.

18. AirborneReams

Right!? That’s what I said when I first saw it and then had it in hand LOL. I’m excited for the person that gets the auction! There’s certain coins I get that make me want to start collecting that type

19. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Regarding your other eBay thread, I checked out your eBay store and I really like your FECs and many of the Barber dimes. I wanted to reply on that thread but I don't have the privilege to do that yet. So I'll do it here. LOL.

20. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

3 words

It looks real.

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Isreal just ground found. Lot of meat in it. Probably was unc or close when lost

Draft saved Draft deleted