1838 Capped Bust Half Dollar with "50 C." on back

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rcarr, Apr 9, 2012.

1. rcarr

rcarr New Member

I found a 1838 Capped Bust Half Dollar in my collection with some features that (from what I've read online) should not be there after 1836. Specifically, it says “50 C.” on the back rather than “HALF DOL.” or “50 Cents”, it has writing around the edge (“FIFTY CENTS OR HALF DOLLAR”), and it has the E. Pluribus Unum banner at the top of the back.

Does anyone know if there were variants of the 1838 coin like this? It seems like a coin from pre-1836. The bust also looks different from other 1838 coins I've seen online. And the "3" in 1838 has a different style (rounded rather than angular top portion).

1838 50 cents.jpg
    1838 50 cents (side).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Your coin appears to be a contemporary counterfeit, or a counterfeit that circulated during the time this series of coinage was actually being produced. They are very collectable, and many are extremely valuable... But let's jump to any conclusions about your coin quite yet.

It appears that Rick Irons - a well-known Bust Half enthusiast, respected dealer, and also happens to be the co-author of a respected contemporary counterfeit attribution guide, -has a '38 C.C. CBH listed, although it doesn't appear to be exactly the same as yours. But, then again, circulation may be the cause for the slight difference in appearance.

My knowledge on these is limited.

Here's the source: http://www.busthalf.com/ccCBH_for_Sale.html
    $95 he's lookin' for on the similar 1838. Not half bad, eh?

If you don't mind me asking, what'd you pay for your coin?

-Brian

4. rcarr

rcarr New Member

Thanks for the good info! That possibility hadn't even occurred to me, although it makes a lot of sense. And an interesting story to boot. That '38 CC CBH you mentioned looks like a match to me.

I didn't buy this coin, actually. I was given my small collection of coins by my grandfather long ago. This is one of the more interesting ones.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Very interesting coin.

And if a contemporary counterfeit it could be worth more than a real one.

Nice find.

6. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I agree on the contemporary counterfeit... it looks nothing like the modern fakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted