1838 25 Cent with Motto

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinismatics2000, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Hi!

I've come into this 1838 25 cent. Sadly it has seen some action; it is fairly worn and has dink on the rim.

I understand this mintage to be low for this year (366,000) plus there was a slight increase in the silver content following the Coinage Act of 1837.

If anyone can tell me any more (grade, value, history) that would be great.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'd give her F15. She's a tad corroded. Could be a $150 to $175 coin, otherwise. In that condition, who knows, really? We take them as we find them. Depends on how much someone needs her. She'd get a details grade, if graded.

4. That we do! What is the tale-tell sign of corrosion? The colour seems quite muted if that plays into it.
    I valued it at around £75 ($95). As you say it depends how badly a collector wants her.
    One final thing - the alignment seemed slightly off although that could be my British brain getting confused with American coin orientation!

Thanks

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sure. Looks a little rough, particularly in the closeup. Starting to corrode might be a better description. Surface is bumpy. Will sell, but under "book," just can't say how much.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

F 15. Possibly an old clean. But still an early one. $80-100 , a fair value

Coinismatics2000 likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You have an example of the Reduced Size Capped Bust Quarter. This type was issued from 1831 until 1838. The quarter was one of the last of the silver coins to be struck with a "closed collar." That means that the reeding was applied at the same time as the coin was struck. Earlier coins had the reeding applied by a separate operation.

Here is an example of the large size Capped Bust Quarter was issued between 1815 and 1828, but for not all of the years in between. This type is scarce.

1828 Quarter All.jpg

The weight was slightly decreased in 1837 because the fineness was increased from .8924 silver to .9000 silver that year. The silver content of the coin was not changed.

Here is the piece in my type set, which is graded AU-58.

1831 Quarter All.jpg

gronnh20, eddiespin and Mainebill like this.
  8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

If you have an 1838 capped bust quarter with the motto then you have the only one. Congrats!

9. CoinCorgi

@johnmilton could you clarify this? If it is the last struck with a "closed collar", then your statement that earlier coins had reeding applied by separate operation doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?

10. johnmilton

There those who think that all of the "larged sized" silver coinage with made with a closed collar. That seems to be a minority view.

The thinking is that the closed collar came in when the reduced size type coins were introduced. Here is a list of the reduced sized type coins:

Half dime, resummed in 1829
    Dime Type changed mid 1828
    Quarter Type changed 1831
    Half Dollar Reeded edge introduced 1836, used on all half dollars 1837
    Silver Dollar Closed collar for sure in 1840 after the Gobrecht coins. Prior to that the dollar had a quasi experimental status. The original issue 1836 Gobrecht Dollars are now called "regular issues," but the combined mintage in 1836 and 1837 was only 1,600 coins, which hardly going to run the economy, even then.

I don't think that the reeded edge coins from the early 1800s were stuck with close collars that imparted the reeded edge at the same time the obverse and reverse was struck. I have an 1807 quarter with partial reeding and it was not broad struck out of the collar. The trouble is the coin is now in a slab, and you can't see the reeding. Ditto for many other certified early coins.

Coinismatics2000 and eddiespin like this.
  11. johnmilton

I misworded the statement. The quarter was one of the last denominations to be converted to the closed collar system.

12. CoinCorgi

Ah, I see it now. Thanks.

13. Fascinating. yours is a beauty! must be worth a little something.
    Thanks for the information.

Draft saved Draft deleted