1837 Seated Dimes - Small and Large Dates.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, May 23, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I have been expanding my early dime collection lately by adding some seated dimes and focusing on the early dates.

The Seated Dime Type which succeeded the Capped Busts was first introduced in 1837.
    Two distinct varieties were minted at Philadelphia that year: small dates and large dates. The large date variety is slightly more plentiful than the small date.

The Red Book states that 1837 being the first year, many were saved and consequently many can be found today in higher grades.

I recently added the Large Date type to my collection. The coin is lightly toned, possibly dipped and some marks present, but it shows quite a bit of lustre as well.
    The 1837 small date which I have had for a while is colourfully toned, specially the reverse. For once I was able to capture the colours in this new set of pictures.

Let me hear what you guys think, thanks!

1837 Seated Dime OBVXX N very good - BEST picture  - 1.jpg 1837 Dime Large date REV6N very good picture no angle - 1.jpg 1837 seated dime small date OBVXX very good best picture - 1.jpg 1837 seated dime small date revXX very good best picture - 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love the early seated coinage, very nice coins, Eduard.

Eduard likes this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Nice set of twins!

Eduard likes this.
  5. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Very nice.

Eduard likes this.
  6. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Particularly like the toned small date, with the marvelous reverse...congrats on the pair of 1837’s!

Eduard likes this.
  7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Two nice examples of one of my favorite series. Is that a die crack on the large date obverse or a trick of the light? Agree the LD has probably been dipped.

Eduard likes this.
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yes, it’s a beauty!!! Eduard, where do you find such coins raw...? Leave some of them for me please :-D

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Eduard likes this.
  9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice coins. I love the small date I’ve owned a lot of these. A personal favorite coin

Eduard likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a beautiful coin. May I have one?

Eduard likes this.
  11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated.

Seems like lots of early type collectors like the seated dimes without the stars. Something special about them with the open fields I guess.

My focus will be next on an upgrade to my current 1838-O, not a difficult coin, they are around, and also an 1845-O. This one is likely to be a bit more difficult in appealing grade.

12. Mainebill

Nice. Both better dates. Agreed the 45 o is tough to find decent and appealing. I’m always looking for better date seated coins as I have a ready market. But they’re tough to find nice especially branch mint stuff. Very underrated coins

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I agree, Bill. The branch mint issues are interesting. Specially the early dates.

My aim is to complete a full "O" and "S" mint set, at least into the mid. 1850"s.
    Way to go yet.....

Mainebill likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Finding the late 50s s mints that aren’t just plain ugly is a real challenge. And of course the worn out New Orleans dies and bad strikes. It’s a lot harder than most realize good luck. You picked a worthy challenge

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted