1837 Coronet Head large cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by juslystn, Mar 29, 2020.

1. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

Can anyone point me to a good resource for varieties on these? This coin has been begging me for attention and I just do not know anything about them tbh. Any help is appreciated,thanks 20200328_081359.jpg 20200328_081327.jpg 20200328_082223.jpg 20200328_081926.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Looks like the coin took a few hits, some of them sharp as in the lower left segment of the 8. Good pics.

4. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

it definitely has seen better days....just trying to learn more about it tbh. From what I understand it is a 1837 with the head of 1838...which doesn't add much value,if any.

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Check NGC listing for the coin. They list variations.

6. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

Both NGC and PCGS have enough pictures to identify your coin. I believe it to be die pair N-12.

7. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

juslystn likes this.
  8. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

UPDATE

"The Cent Book". Indicates for 37-12 that the "1 is faintly recut at stand and peak and 8 strongly recut at lower left." Also Re Rev: "Fis boldly doubled...Almost the entirety of E can be made out in the wreath below e in AMERICA"

Boldly doubled F
    WIN_20200329_11_25_23_Pro.jpg
    E in the Wreath below the E in America
    WIN_20200329_11_24_31_Pro.jpg

date
    WIN_20200329_11_26_03_Pro.jpg

9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

From John Wrights The Cent Book 1816-1839 (copyright 1992):

The OPs coin looks like Die Marriage N-12 with Obverse 10 and Reverse H

The characteristics I cannot make out from the coin photos are underlined.

Obverse: BHC: Gap at Brow
    "Hair cords are strings of beads...There is an open gap between the browlock and the coronet above. Coronet tip is not as sharply pointed as on other beaded cord dies. A continuation of its leading edge would be well into *6. The date is moderately spaced, with 1 faintly recut at stand and peak, and 8 strongly recut at lower left. Lowest curl is about centered over the 7. IB and ER are joined, with weak upper left serif on E."

Reverse: SL: Accessory E
    "Letters of legend are small. Key leaves point PC, SPC, NC, PC. F is boldly doubled, the original punch tilting left. Almost the entirety of an E can be made out in the wreath below E in AMERICA. Small bold center dot with a tiny weaker chip to the right of it."

Comment: I cannot make out any evidence of the Accessory E on the reverse and this is diagnostic of this reverse. Might be coin's condition or the photographs. Obverse 10 is the only 1837 that Wright lists as having recut date numerals.

If I've mis-attributed this, I would appreciate a correction to further my knowledge.

10. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

The yellow arrow is pointing at the sharp tipof the bottom on the E ll.jpg

11. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

12. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I thought that might have been it but never having seen it before I didn't want to say I'd seen it. Unlike Bigfoot which I swear I saw at a frat party in 1971.

13. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

I wasn't sure either,i was hoping you would agree ,lmao

Draft saved Draft deleted