1837 Capped Bust Half, Type 2 “50 cents”

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Nov 13, 2021.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted this subtype. This is the reeded edge but with “50 cents” on the reverse. Only made in 1836 (mintage 5000) and 1837 (mintage almost 4 million). The type 3 (1838 and 1839) has “Half Dol” on reverse. I already own a nice Type 1 and 3.

This one is graded by ICG as AU50 details (damaged) and purchased at a fraction of listed AU50 priceguide/recent auction results. I usually do not buy detailed coins. Looking at the seller’s pics, I was thinking the damage was the gouge on the shield. Which I could happily live with. In hand, I dont think the gouge is this issue. I think it was lightly polished. If so, I am not certain why ICG did not label it as cleaned or polished. In the end, I am still happy to own her.

I really cant find much info on this date. There is a cool die crack that runs halfway around the circumference in the reverse.

658DB947-E4AA-4ED4-8714-858029DE6873.jpeg
    4CE5F0E3-93E5-40CE-9669-ABF366E81323.jpeg

Jaelus, Scott J, fretboard and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Very nice looking Bust Half! :D I love the series but many other collectors want them as well and they've gotten a bit pricey. Glad to hear you got a good price! Here's mine! thumbupp.gif

112613861a.jpg 112613861b.jpg

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is a little more information for you.

The Philadelphia Mint began to use steam driven presses to strike coins in 1836. To make that work, Christian Gobrecht modified the Capped Bust design for the newly introduced technology. The design remained quite similar, but the diameter was reduced and the edges were reeded. The lettered edge could not be continued without the use a segmented collar surrounding the coin when it was struck. Otherwise the collar and the coin would be fused.

The mintage was quite low for the 1836 Reeded Edge Half Dollar making it an expensive item today. The 1837 is much more common with a mintage of just over 3.6 million pieces. The 1837 half dollar is common enough to so that any collector, with the funds, can acquire one.

There are die varieties of this coin. In 2012 Dick Graham published "A Registry of Die Varieties of Reeded Edge Half Dollars." He identified 25 varieties of the 1837 half dollar.

Gobrecht modified the design in 1838. The most noticeable change was the value, which was changed from "50 CENTS" to "HALF DOL." Less noticeable is the fact that he strengthened the rims and made the lettering around the edge a bit more bold. Here are examples of both coins.

1837 half dollar

1837 Half Dollar All.jpg

1838 half dollar

1839 Bust Half Dollar All.jpg

AcesKings, NSP, 1776 and 5 others like this.
  5. bradgator2

Terrific, thank you. I also noticed the ribbon with E Pluribus Unum was removed from the reverse.

6. bradgator2

Here is my Type 1 and 3 in my type set album.

This type 2 matches those pretty well. I know that 1823 is a O-103 R2

4FCD860A-FB75-4E82-A3CF-64FFF27B81C4.jpeg
    ECDB8E0D-0C5D-47B4-AB00-13F1DA8B9405.jpeg

NSP and Mr.Q like this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice coins, thanks for sharing.

bradgator2 likes this.
  8. marve

marve Member

I SOLD A 1836 CAPPED 50C PIECE IN VG COND. FOR $70.00 WHICH WAS A LITTLE LOW.

9. bradgator2

I hope that was a Type 1!

10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

@bradgator2, your coin looks like it is the 1837 GR-3, an R-2 die marriage. I didn't expend a lot of time on the attribution so I could be off but the reverse die crack certainly seems to match the description of the early die state for Reverse C. There were a couple of pickups on the obverse that I couldn't see on your coin but Reverse C was only used with Obverse 2 so the attribution is probably correct.

I don't know why the TPG gave your coin a details grade. I have seen much worse than the ding on the shield get a straight grade. But OTOH, I don't think I agree with an AU grade. Doesn't matter at all if you're going to crack it out to put in a DANSCO and if you are happy with it that is what matters.

The above is from my copy of Graham's book which I bought from him at the FUN show pre-pandemic. Same time I bought this 1839-O half from him. DSC_0347-side.jpg

bradgator2 likes this.
  11. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

One other difference between the lettered edge and the reeded edge that you might notice is the star layout on the obverse. It went from 7 stars on the left and 6 on the right to 6 on the left and 7 on the right.

micbraun, bradgator2 and ldhair like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted