1836 to 1936 is this a token

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chris .c., Oct 16, 2018.

1. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It is a token, and in my opinion a poorly made one. But I don't think anyone was going all out back in 1936.

4. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

7. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

Thanks do people collect tokens

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Oh Yea, they certainly do. Tokens are big in the collection world. I would say most every coin collector has at least one token in there collection.
    There are many different types of Tokens. Some come from Banks and some come from the pizza restaurant made for kids. Oh, and Medals too.

John Johnson likes this.
  9. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

Does my token have any value

10. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Your token celebrates the Texas Centennial in 1936. This celebrates the 100th anniversary of independence from Mexico and joining the United States. Actual statehood did not occur until 1845.

Texas Centennial celebration memorabilia can be quite expensive, depending on the item. However your token - I have had them in nickel, brass and base metal - is fairly common and worth $8 to $10. World's Fair and Classic Commemorative Coin memorabilia collectors usually buy them to add to their collections.

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I do! Lots of people do. To the people who don’t these usually are met with little interest, but that makes them bargains at your LCS.

12. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

I paid 5$ in lCS I’m adding it to my collection thanks for the info

13. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

For anyone who cruises by the general rule of thumb is that a token is good for something or serves a purpose in commerce. The no cash value pieces serve to operate video games, turnstiles or other purposes. Medals commemorate people, places or events. The OP Texas medal commemorates the centennial of the founding of Texas.

wcoins likes this.
  14. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I collect tokens, but I don't generally pay much for the ones I find, so the more valuable tokens don't really interest me. I have close to a thousand of them in an old cookie can. Some of my favorites are old subway tokens, but the best I have is probably a brass gaming token from the early 1900s.

15. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

It’s my first token probably not my last I’m just getting started on tokens do y’all find China tokens

16. harley bissell

For anyone who cruises by the general rule of thumb is that a token is good for something or serves a purpose in commerce. The no cash value pieces serve to operate video games, turnstiles or other purposes. Medals commemorate people, places or events. The OP Texas medal commemorates the centennial of the founding of Texas.
    If you only want tokens from China I usually get them from tourists coming back.
    A few others have shown up in the junk bins of coin dealers. good luck.

17. harley bissell

If you only want tokens from China I usually get them from tourists coming back.
    A few others have shown up in the junk bins of coin dealers. Last week I set up in Ohio. Of all the visitors only one asked for China pieces so you won't have much competition for the ones that are out there. He didn't want the ones I have so I still have them for the next guy. good luck.

18. Chris .c.

Chris .c. Member

I was just asking the lCS I go to has lots of them i didn’t know why he would have China tokens thanks again and no I don’t need any China tokens thanks tho

19. Alan Taylor

Alan Taylor New Member

I've been told that if a guy takes a coin and point it heads to the sky and rotate it horizontally 180 degrees and the other side is upside down then it's a coin otherwise if they're both up it's a token.hopefully that's a true story?

20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a token I bought the other day. Some would say I paid too much and maybe I did but I need it for my collection. And no, I'm not Jewish, I just liked it. It costs me $8 and change, the top one. The other two cost me a lot more. My point is, if you paid $5 for yours and you like it then that's all that matters. :DHere's a couple more. s-8.45a.jpg s-8.45b.jpg s@63.00a-l1600.jpg s@63.00b-l1600.jpg s-21-07a.jpg s-21-07b.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted