1836 First Steam Coinage Metal

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Moekeever, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

i picked up this metal about 25 years ago. I can't remember where exactly but most likely a flea market. I'm sure this is a restrike. Has anyone owned an original specimen? image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

You mean like this one?

jmt21.jpg

OK, it's not mine, but I did get to play with it. Owned by Robert Patterson, Mint Director from 1835-51.

4. Moekeever

That's cool. Does this one have the edge lettering "The Very First". You can also see the overdate. It was dated Feb 22, 1836 then the start of coinage was moved back to Mar 23, 1836.

5. messydesk

I can't remember if it had the edge lettering on it. For some reason that sounds familiar, but I think I would have photographed the edge had it been there. I'll have to ask the person that had me shoot it. Overdate is loud and clear (A/E, 3/2 most obvious).

Moekeever likes this.
  6. Moekeever

Here is a link to an article on this metal and a photo of the edge lettering. To most large cent collectors, this was the end of the collectible variations and the start of modern coinage.

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n33a19.html

image.jpeg

messydesk and SchwaVB57 like this.
  7. messydesk

OK, that's why it sounds familiar. I didn't get to play with this one, as I took the photos of the others in 2012 and this wasn't available at the time.

Moekeever likes this.
  8. Moekeever

I was reading and researching this metal when I came across an example that is clearly circulated. The weird part is that it is dated Feb 22, 1836. That was the original date that was moved to Mar 23. I wonder if they tested this die out before the official coinage.

image.png

9. messydesk

They did make a few dated Feb. 22, and they're rare. Heritage has a whopping one (1) in their archive, and it just sold last week for $1292.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Why do people keep calling a medal or medallion, a metal?

11. Moekeever

I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize that I was misspelling medal. Yes it is a medal or medallion. Thank you for pointing this out.

Draft saved Draft deleted