1835 Peru 8 reales - Legit? Contemporary Counterfeit? Other?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mrbreeze, Mar 4, 2021.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I have been evaluating this coin and want to know your opinion. The weight is probably right on as it is listed at 27.07 and my scale measures it at 27.0 and 27.1. It seems like it has a silver wash that has worn off in some areas, which leads me to the fake category. But, it has things on both sides of the ledger. I don’t handle a ton of these in circulated condition so it is not my specialty.

9B7C93FE-1EF3-4E8F-B57E-53B3397473AC.jpeg C705154F-E54B-47F1-BE98-95DF71A34EDE.jpeg DA9202F0-A359-459E-B8DD-EADB4A3B9787.jpeg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I would say fake but I'm not familiar nor an expert on these coins.

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

If it is fake I would lean towards it being a contemporary counterfeit. These are both collectible and desirable in their own right.

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis Helpful? Click *Best Answer*! Supporter

these are going to be the next big time faked coins. Already seeing Central and South American silver gaining traction with collectors.

I can't speak on this one, I do hope it is real but we must always be skeptical

6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I'm leaning towards genuine. Nothing screams fake to me. Any chance we can get more pictures of the edge?

John Conduitt likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I see a coin where the original mint luster has worn off on the areas you would expect, and is protected where you expect. Unless someone knows this issue very well I wouldn't accept an opinion that it is false. To me it appears at first blush legitimate. Most plated fakes never get the weight correct.

John Conduitt likes this.
  8. mrbreeze

C1CDDBA7-B048-4485-9BAF-9FC314B399A8.jpeg 060FCBF6-AB44-437F-80FC-7C4D11B9D1C9.jpeg 0FFA9F9B-AC9B-49A0-8AA3-4022BD79B362.jpeg 87B2828B-2E61-4F3B-B1A2-E460103695BE.jpeg B6BB3981-8079-4F19-9DC9-9E9DF2397053.jpeg redo

NOS likes this.
  9. mrbreeze

10. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Weight?

These coins are often quite crude. I think this coin is okay. The doubling of the A is probably due to a repunching of that letter in the die.

The edge is crude, but consistent, where visible. The irregularities are likely due to flan issues and issues with the edging process.

The denticles appear clear but missing in parts due to the off center obverse strike.

The design seems quite crisp and I don't see any signs of casting or transfer dies.

The coin should weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 grams.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I don't know for sure, but it looks legit to me. Nothing about it screams out fake! Let us know! :D

12. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Figure out the specific gravity so you can determine what the alloy is. There is of course no reason to apply silver wash to a silver coin so that is a big red flag. Also the edge design should have very little or no alignment variance to the edge -- the Lima mint had produced milled coinage for nearly a century at this point in time and the mint had edging mills that would not allow for the variance shown in the first edge photograph.

Draft saved Draft deleted