1835 half cent and what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 13, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

I recently received this 1835 half cent and it’s almost unbelievable how detailed this thing is and to feel all of its original ridges and grooves. BUT.. when I’m excited about a coin I know where to go to get set straight... this place! What do you guys think about this piece it looks pretty uncirculated to me and may be worth grading out? I know these older cents go for a lot less then what they would be worth if they were graded I see it a lot and I’ve seen a lot of my AU+ cents go for well under 100$. I also noticed that this coin looks to be doubled punched on the 5 and also some of the lettering on the reverse. I was told that this is the C-2 variety as well. I know next to nothing about the older copper coins and have been learning a lot recently because I do tend to sell quite a bit and would like to know how to sell these guys and what to look for.

Thank you! 7A9FC7EE-F135-419F-AEA7-7F0C0CE09C5C.jpeg 87740A8B-6CFF-4071-84FB-DBDF673F5013.jpeg 2F9E903D-AD0B-4805-97B3-83A01C4E2B45.jpeg 2F52C4F4-E25F-442E-9E3A-72567338C59C.jpeg

NSP and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Au and possibly an old dip but it’s recovered decent

Paddy54 and AirborneReams like this.
  4. AirborneReams

Is that doubling from error or that part of the Cohen 2 type? Thank you.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree. The color doesn't look completely original, but is acceptable. Nice coin. Sharp.

AirborneReams and Paddy54 like this.
  6. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Very nice, AU. I like it.

AirborneReams likes this.
  7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Your 1835 half cent is the C-2 variety. In 1835, one obverse was paired with two reverses. Your coin is Reverse A as shown by the ST close at top. I have circled this on a markup of your photo. I have also noted what appear to be some clashes.

The doubling of HALF CENT is not really diagnostic for the variety but is common and is not an error.

The RPD on the date is not really noted since there is only one obverse die for this date.

Overall a nice coin that I would call an AU-53 and the TPGs would probably call 55.

For comparison, I have posted my 1835 C-1 slabbed NGC AU-58 so you can see the differences in the reverses and also the grade differences. 87740A8B-6CFF-4071-84FB-DBDF673F5013.jpeg DSC_0201-tile.jpg

AirborneReams, NSP and Paddy54 like this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Half cents from this era usually come in fairly high grades. It’s rare to see one in less than Choice VF unless it’s damaged. By this time the public didn’t have much use for half cents, and they did not circulate will.

I think that your piece was dipped at one time and has recovered some color. Whether or not it’s the kind of color that will get it into a straight graded holder is a question. When I was getting my collection graded, about 20 years ago, I got hammered with no-grades, most of them undeserved.

Here is the 1835 half cent that is in my collection. This used to be my higher grade type coin. Now I have a couple of others that have higher grades, if they are not really better. NGC short changed me on this one with an MS-63, Brown grade. I think that it is an easy MS-64. The lines you see on the reverse are on the holder. This one is a Cohen variety #1, but both varieties for the year are common.

1835HalfCentOJPG.jpg 1835HalfCentR.JPG

AirborneReams, Mainebill and NSP like this.
  9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1 my 1st thought...color off dippid retoned,

AirborneReams and Mainebill like this.
  10. AirborneReams

That’s a nice coin there

Draft saved Draft deleted