1835/4 British 1 and half silver pence coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bqcoins, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I've had this coin in my collection as part of a larger deal of world silver for some time now. While I was getting ready to ebay a part of the silver I had duplicates of, wasn't interested, etc I ran across this coin. I looked it up in my Krause to see if it was anything special. I noticed the catalog listed an overdate. After some searching on the net for some photos I put it under the microscope and viola! Whadda ya know. Just thought I'd share seeing as how the entire mintage for that year was less than 3/4 million coins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mickey-startup

mickey-startup New Member

Its called a Three-Halfpence issued for colonial use.

I don`t see a 4 ?

Price guide for 1935/4 £6 in Fine, £15 in VF
    Price guide for 1935 £10 in Fine,£25 in VF

4. bqcoins

Three half pence huh, well I suppose. That would be like calling a trime a triple cent then right :) But it is a worn coin so not too clear, but I believe that is the left most point of the 4 coming off the left edge of the five in the third picture based on this closeup of a 5/4 in high grade http://coins.calkinsc.com/old_site/doc/mag.html

5. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

Tony Clayton's website has some more info on this penny-halfpenny (or three-halfpence):

Colonial Three Halfpence

The three halfpence was issued again between 1834 and 1862 in the reigns of William IV and Victoria for use in the colonies. They never circulated in the UK, but these small silver coins, weighing 0.7g with a diameter of 12mm, are generally considered to be part of the British series as they so resemble the Maundy issues.

All have the denomination (1½) in numerals on the reverse, with a crown above and wreath around.

In Ceylon they were equivalent to 4 stivers, while in Jamaica, British Guiana and Trinidad they were equivalent to a quarter of a real.
    A rare proof dated 1870 brought the series to a close.

Taken from http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/phalf.html

The non-overdate is, as mickey states, worth more than the overdate! It was minted in small numbers from 1834 - 1843, 1860, 1862 and that rare proof 1870. Overdates 1835/4 and 1843/34 are known.

6. bqcoins

very nice info, thanks.

7. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

threehalfpence

The threehalfpence denominations are one of my favorites of British commonwealth coins. I always liked tiny coins, and this one, which seemed like such an odd denomination to me at first, is one of my favorite tiny coins of the world.
    Here is my nicest example, the pics are bad, and taken through a coin flip, the coin displays prooflike qualities, especially on the obverse portrait.
    It is hard for me to tell, but that would be very neat if you indeed found an overdate of this coin. It is too bad about the condition, the scratches and all I mean. Still a pretty cool, and fairly rare coin.

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Lovely coin and one that I have just realised I do not have in my collection (will have to remidy that LOL)

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Ah, remedy away my friend. I think high grade examples are fairly pricey.... they only minted them for a few select years under Victoria... . My 1839 has a mintage of 760,320. It is one of my favorite coins in my entire collection.
    I spent alot of time collecting maundy coins (I know these are not Maundy) and found this denomination to be even more interesting. I was hoping to put together a set, with the different years they struck this denomination under Victoria, and then move my way back towards the threehalfpence of William IIII. But alas, this is my only decent example right now.
    Good luck finding one, let us know if you do.... and make sure to take pictures :)

edit: Okay, the years these were minted were: 1834, 1835, 1836, 1837, 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842, 1843, 1860, 1862 and 1870. So pretty much like andyscouse said. 1834-1843, 1860, 1862 and then the 1870. I found this According to my catalogue of British Commonwealth coins, I would quote some of it's prices... but the only copy I have is from 1968.... so not very helpful there heh.

10. claired

claired New Member

question about 1835 three halfpence - could anyone please help?

I have just inherited my late father's collection and am going through this where I have come across this coin which he had marked as "old silver small UK coin". With further research I've discovered this coin to be an 1835 three halfpence. The condition is poor (although the coin is almost 180 years old!). Can you tell with the naked eye if it has been overstamped or would I need to consult a coin dealer with a proper microscope to determine this?

Draft saved Draft deleted