1835 1/2 cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Illinois Newby, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Would like some information about this 1935 1/2 cent coin. It looks in exceptional condition for its age. One of the pics says 1935, but that is an error on my part.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Badly, badly cleaned. The coin is a circulated XF45 grade, but should be brown in color for that condition, not bright red. Still, a neat piece of history. Someone unfortunately cleaned the value right out if it. Original and brown, natural color, it would be worth close to $100. Now that it's bright red and cleaned... more like $60.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just out of curiosity @C-B-D if the coin is allowed to retone to brown, would it reclaim some value?

5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

It would probably sell as "old cleaning", and it would regain some value. If you let it settle back to brown, I would estimated an additional $10, so around $70-75. It all depends on what the buyer is willing to spend on a cleaned coin. Someone who is in dire need of it will pay more, even if it is cleaned.

6. Kentucky

In this same vein (apologies to the original poster) what indicators would lead you to believe it was cleaned if it were to retone to brown? I don't really see any bad scratching.

toned_morgan likes this.
  7. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Well under a microscope, you would see light hairlines. This isn't the worse cleaning ever, so I agree with you that you might not be able to see the cleaning...

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Thanks.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You don't need a microscope to see the harsh cleaning hairlines here. I can see it even in the slightly blurry pic. This sucker got scrubbed! Hard!
    20190213_203613.jpg

toned_morgan likes this.
  10. Kentucky

OK, they escaped me at first

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All those dark spots look like the original color on a low spot, a ding, dent or gouge. Such a shame someone cleaned this otherwise beautiful coin. They really lowered its value.

12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like someone took the Brasso to that one. Shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted