1834 large cent doubled profile

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Daryl Conley, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Daryl Conley

Daryl Conley New Member

I recently acquired an 1834 large cent in Good condition. It has all the identifiers on the obverse and reverse showing it to be an N-1 variety, but it has very evident doubling on Liberty's forehead, nose, and lips, like the N-3 or N-4 variety. Is doubling known on other die varieties as well?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

Pictures would be helpful

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Daryl Conley

Daryl Conley New Member

I know...I had a real nice digital microscope that took good hi res photos, but it quit working. I'll see what I can do. Scanning doesn't show enough detail...

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

most likely strike doubling.

common on Bust $1/2's

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Most if not all of the 1834 varieties can be found with doubled profiles of various strengths except for N-7. The doubled profiles were caused by strike doubling and at times it could be severe. At the time they in the process of moving into the new Philadelphia mint and they were still using the old severely worn screw presses that had been in use since the 1790's. Trying to keep them "tight" so the die cups did't shake was a difficult feat. (It isn't seen on the N-7 because that was a proof only issue, and there are only 8 of them.)

7. Daryl Conley

Daryl Conley New Member

That's good to know, thanks. The doubling is quite evident and looks exactly like photos I have seen of doubled profiles on N-3 and N-4 varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted