1834 Capped Bust 50c (Comments, Opinions, Grades)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WashQuartJesse, Feb 20, 2011.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

All comments welcome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I would grade the coin XF 40ish. Not a bad coin. The rim bruises are a bit worrisome, to me personally at least.

4. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

nice detail. XF-40 maybe. The rim damage doesn't bother me so much as the toning though. I, personally, don't find it attractive at all but maybe it's just the lighting and the coin looks better in hand.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am guessing the background was white and you forgot/couldn't set the white balance, which would give a more yellow/orange color under artificial light. But that aside, the details appear XF-AU, but it would most likely come back as environmental damaged due to the deep toning/corrosion ( brownish/black) in some areas. IMO.

Jim

6. WashQuartJesse

The toning is almost black in hand. Areas that appear gold in the photo are silver in hand. Unable to set camera. Sorry for the dark photos. Rim damage post mint? Thanks for the comments everyone.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is a a very nice coin. It has seen a lot since its time. I have several of same period that have come back environmental damage or cleaned. Hard to get coins like yours ( for a decent price) that are fault free.

Jim

8. WashQuartJesse

Adjusted the light...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

The rim dings bother me too but there is good hair detail which is a good indicator. I would say VF and if you paid in the $70-90 range, then it was a good deal. No matter what it's a nice coin with a lot of history. If only they could tell us where they've been and what they've seen.

10. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Can you get a shot of the edge where the damage appears?

11. WashQuartJesse

I'll try to take some pics of the rim at some point.

"If only they could tell us where they've been and what they've seen." My thoughts exactly. Thanks for your input. I did pay much more for the coin. The coin has a naturalness to it that I like.

Draft saved Draft deleted