1833 V

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chazmasterman, Feb 27, 2015.

1. chazmasterman

chazmasterman Change your Change

Well I haven't been logged in lately. I been going through some coins again. I found this one side aside not sure why. Or sure how I got it. And don't know much about them. Also I wanted to test how well my pic's come out that I post. I have some goofy penny's to post soon as well. Any comments? Ty
    Charles.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Its an 1883 v nickel plated gold. Its plated gold because back in those times, people would plate 1883 "no cents" nickels and pass them off as $5 coins in dim light places such as bars and get back $4+ in change which at the time was a lot of money. Plating is most likely recent and was probably broken out of a cardboard display explaining the history of gold plated 1883 "no cents" nickels

4. chazmasterman

Wow Ok, Thank you for your reply. Very Interesting history. Some things never change. Kinda people washing a 5 and reprinting a $20. So this must of come from some history display some where. I didn't even know they could do gold plating back then. I suspect I'ts not real. I took a closer look and noticed 4 notches on the rim. like north south east west. Either way cool looking and very bright. prolly not worth to much even if it was real gold plated. I did look at a few on line. Not plated. I noticed the I in liberty stood out to me. Looks faint. ? Anyway also I don't know if you know much about penny coin error's or not. I have a few interesting ones. I am gonna post on the coin error forum. while I am at it. Thx again.
    Charles

Attached Files:

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

While it is true that this is a nickel plated with an extremely thin layer of gold, it was almost certainly done in recent years (1950-onward) to sell to collectors as a novelty based upon the story of the original 1883 V nickels that were gold plated.

chazmasterman likes this.
  6. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I've seen the racketeer nickels that had the edges reeded before plating to make them look more authentic as well.

7. chazmasterman

Draft saved Draft deleted