1833 Liberia Ex Slave Token KM-Tn2 PCGS AU-55

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jfscmedic, Aug 6, 2018.

1. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

Picked this up from the Ladson SC Coin Show this past weekend.

A 1833 Liberia "Ex-Slave" Token Graded AU 55 by PCGS. Population of only 2 with only 1 Grading Higher by PCGS. Coin Info.jpg coinfacts.jpg Coin Obv.jpg Coin Rev.jpg Lg Obv.jpg Lg Rev.jpg

chrsmat71, Chris B, sonlarson and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool coin and piece of history.

jfscmedic likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat and historical token. Never seen it before.

jfscmedic likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Nice, but...

I wouldn't have any idea of a fair value for that, that is, what to pay for it

6. jfscmedic

NGC online site lists it at $175 in XF and $450 MS-60. Its AU-55. The dealer had it priced $275. I got it for $250

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

That's a high price (in my mind, because I keep a $50/month budget) but the coin is really cool and a historical piece. I'd be happy with it at that price. I doubt I'll ever see one at a show or store.

jfscmedic likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Very cool piece. I was going to go to that show but wasn't able to make it. How was the show?

9. jfscmedic

The item was picked up by a friend of mine I was working the gun show in Columbia

10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I used to have one but sold it on eBay. Little depressing that you guys have never seen one before since I tried the BST in January.
    [​IMG]

Offered at $75 back then BTW

Seattlite86 and jfscmedic like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think many ignore the FS area.

I do better on the PCGS forums FS section.

jfscmedic likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Indeed. Quite an interesting issue.

Here is a proof 1847 Liberian cent, which I believe was their first regular issue coin. This one (PCGS PR65 BN) happens to be the finest graded at either PCGS or NGC. It is one of the nicer coins in my collection.

[​IMG]

CLC2010, Seba79, Jaelus and 3 others like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Well worth it, I say.

jfscmedic and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Seattlite86

That is a very awesome coin. I don't know if I have the discipline to reduce my collection to so few coins. I might one day find the fortitude to part with my world collection and try something like this. Some day... :)

15. Tickle monster

Tickle monster New Member

I think the bottom line is if you bought it and your happy then it's no problem. Many people could have 10 different answers to this and only your matters.

16. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the meaning behind these tokens back in the day? Was it for collectors? Was it used to commemorate something?

17. lordmarcovan

Well, the 1833 token commemorated the resettlement of free African Americans to Liberia, but it had a monetary function. Note that it has the "one penny" denomination on it.

Why is that considered a token when the 1847 Liberian cent I posted is considered a coin? Well, that's because Liberia gained independence in 1847. So my 1847 cent was the first official coin struck by the Liberian government.

The 1833 token was struck before independence by the American Colonization Society, which I suppose counts as a private entity rather than a government.

Hence the reason the 1833 piece is a token while the 1847 piece is a coin.

Mkman123, jfscmedic, ddddd and 2 others like this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not to throw a wrench at you, LordM, but the issues of outfits like the East India Company are considered coins, aren't they? And they were a private company. So how do those differ from these?

john59 and Seattlite86 like this.
  19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thanks, great pick up

Draft saved Draft deleted