1832 large cent for evaluation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jerryc39, Apr 9, 2021.

1. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

That seems a little high for a 1832 LG. Cent . Check prior sales from PCGS .

4. jerryc39

PCGS has 1832 medium letters which I believe this one to be at $425 at xf-40

5. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I think you did pretty good on it for $81, it's a beautiful, mostly problem free large cent :)

jerryc39 likes this.
  6. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I'm not too sure of the value and maybe you got a good deal but looking at this coin, I see environmental damage. The coin looks corroded to me.

johnmilton likes this.
  7. jerryc39

most of these large cents I have posted I resell to local coin shop. I realize the problems they might have but when you have a coin that's valued anywhere from the low 200's to the low 400's if graded straight how do you discount the price with its flaws? I usually make some $ when I do these flips so I guess we shall see.

bsshog40 likes this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Pricing that coin?
    Start at 50% of catalog for an XF.
    Then don't be surprised if it's less than that.
    Way too many contact marks.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The coin has AU detail, but it’s corroded. That pulls down the value to be sure, but I have not dealt with problem coins enough to tell you what worth is.

For me it would seem like would be a hard item to resell. “Yes, it’s got great sharpness, but it’s also got issues” coins are hard to sell to dealers. It’s the kind thing that some dealers like to sell for big bucks, but never want to see again.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks like someone removed some of the corrosion at some point. I would thing that a dealer would only pay a fraction of the value a problem free coin would be worth.
    I'm surprised the coin was bid up to what it sold for.

11. jerryc39

I haven't found coins such as this hard to sell to dealers. The question is for how much. Yes the coin is worth a fraction of what problem free would be. But if it has AU sharpness we are talking an over $300 coin in a slab. If I get one third of that I am fine.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Attribution is correct. Coin has high grade sharpness, but the excessive hits and corrosion bring the net grade down significantly to maybe a VF-20 worth about $90 You might get that 1/3 of $300 you are hoping for, but frankly I think you are into it at pretty much full value.

And while the N-2 is the rarest of the 1932's, it is still only an R-3. You don't normally get premiums over the "generic" values until you get to R-5.

Jack D. Young and jerryc39 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted