1832 Capped Bust Half Dollar (Small Letters)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kim Marino, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

Hello, wondering if it makes sense to get this coin graded and thoughts about what condition it is. I believe it is at least ‘extremely fine’ but I have reviewed others online that are in worse condition and look to be graded as ‘about uncirculated’.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Maybe XF-40 IMO

4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

It does not.

If your reason for consideration of TPG review is monetary increase, I suspect you will be disappointed.
    The condition depicted is not the best (the images are fuzzy), but are adequate to determine it will not be EF and definitely will not be AU.

As an album filler/type coin, it is fine. It is still history, regardless of the "compromised" condition.

There is nothing wrong with encapsulating the piece, if you would accept a Genuine Details grading. If you would accept same, I would submit to the lowest cost grading entity. Based on the photos only, I do not observe any immediate flags, and the only thought that unconsciously was id I detected a Cud or extreme wear or a very very weak strike. I came down on the side of wear.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

There is something beneath the Bust.

Looks like cleaning damage or ?

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It not worth the cost of grading. And I’m not sure it would grade as it looks cleaned. That would give it a details grade-cleaned. You’d never recover the cost involved to have it graded.

Mr.Q likes this.
  7. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

Thank you for all of the information. Very helpful.

charley likes this.
  8. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

Appreciate your input…. Thank you.

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The best TPG is you! The coin has some issues, but it is still a very nice coin. Encapsulate it, enjoy it, and pass it on to your heirs. Thanks for sharing, good luck.

10. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

That’s very nice to hear and a great idea! Thank you!

Mr.Q likes this.
  11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Vf 30-35 and most likely cleaned. Best to enjoy as is and not spend the money

johnmilton and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  12. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

Ok thanks for your input.

Mainebill likes this.
  13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

In terms of wear I'd say vf35. can't really comment on cleaning from the photos. I like it for an album, I don't think the cost of grading would be recovered.

14. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

Appreciate your input!!!

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is a similar piece that did get a grade. This one was graded MS-63 although it really is an AU-58. Yes, I goof up now and then.

1833 Half Dollar All.jpg

Mainebill, psuman08 and Mr.Q like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd say VF35 or so, cleaned.

Despite the cleaning, it's not bad looking, but I haven't met a Bust half I didn't like.

I don't think it's worth the extra expense of slabbing. Enjoy it as-is.

17. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

So not sure I follow. Does this change thoughts on my coin? I am adding new obverse and reverse pictures which are better than the original I uploaded.

Attached Files:

18. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

19. Kim Marino

Kim Marino Member

Thanks for your input. I added a couple of better images in the response above. I know everyone thinks it has been cleaned and that may be or could be because of the 1st fuzzy images I uploaded. Do the new photos still show evidence of cleaning and how can you tell?

20. lordmarcovan

Yes, it does look cleaned, though I’ve seen worse. An awful lot of them did get cleaned. For many, this one would fall into “market acceptable” range, at least. But I do think a third-party certification service would describe it as cleaned.

How can you tell? Good question. It’s hard to describe. The way the light reflects off of it does not look like natural luster, is all I can say. It’s one of those things one develops an eye for after looking at a lot of coins.

21. lordmarcovan

PS- it does look better, and a little bit more natural, in the second set of photos. So just dipped, maybe- not harshly scrubbed, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted