1831 Bust Half an O-108?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Publius2, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I'm not that experienced in attributing Capped Bust Half Dollars but I do have two of the Overton books and have used the on-line references. This one looks like the common O108 with Obv 5 and Rev G.

Would the experienced members verify my attribution or correct me, please?

BTW, looks like a late die state and a weak strike. What do you think?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

We would like to help, but it’s VERY difficult without pictures…

Omegaraptor likes this.
  4. Publius2

Doh! Here they are.

1831 O-108 Obv.jpg 1831 O-108 Rev.jpg

5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

My opinion, worthless, is no.

The triangular pointed 5 is telling, as is the claws, feathers and "button". I understand what could be interpreted as rim "weakness", both obverse and reverse, but then the arrows (especially the center arrow) don't convince me.

I will defer to a certain member here that I admire for his evaluation of all things CBHs. He knows I am referring to him.

6. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

112 and actually a pretty nice strike--just worn out dies.

charley likes this.
  7. Publius2

I wasn't sure about it because the obverse didn't look like a 108, Star 13 too far from the hair curl was the cause of my uncertainty. I'll go back and try again.

Thanks for the input.

8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

And there we are. I was certain my Call would be answered.

I of course concur with your commentary.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Publius2

Not having the knowledge, experience or skill with Bust Half Dollars that some members possess, I took @okbustchaser's determination of O-112 and examined my coin more thoroughly. Some of the pickups used by Overton don't really work on this coin due to the weak/non-existent dentils caused by worn dies so I looked elsewhere for definitive diagnostics and lo, found one. The reverse on this coin has a unique shield characteristic where line 3 of stripe 2 extends to the third crossbar. No other 1831 has this unique characteristic and this Reverse J is only paired with one obverse. Here's the photo of the shield. I also verified this using a 30X stereo microscope which gives a much clearer view than my photo.

Thanks again for the help.

1831 O-112 Rev-Shield Line Diagnostic.jpg

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Looks okay to me I like it. Thanks

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Some dates are tricky, especially the later years. Don’t feel bad if you got one wrong.

Did you have a look at an online reference, too? Sometimes the pictures there can be helpful. E.g.
    http://maibockaddict.com/1831-o-112-r3-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

12. Publius2

Yes, I have that site bookmarked and used it.

13. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Its details like these that make this series most fascinating for me. Thanks for sharing and Mr Chasers input too.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted