1830 Capped Bust Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ryanbrooks, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

Just another CBHD I won, and wanted to share it with all of you :D Got this for $23 :) Anyone know the variety by any chance? :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I don't know the variety, but it's a nice coin to have for the money you paid.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - nice coin for the money.

5. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Hard to really tell but if I had to guess I would say O-103

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Very nice, I'm expecting my overton's to show up in a few days or so but we sure could use ben on this one, who else out there is a bust half experto! speak up, you're needed here

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well on the O-103 the 3 is suppose to be slightly lower, in this case I would guess O-113. One of the problems with the lower grade coin is seeing all the diagnostics on the coin. I hope you get your book soon bqcoins then we can comparisons.

8. Droidicus

Droidicus New Member

Everyone has their own methods of attribution, unfortunately I mostly use the star diagnostics which are impossible on coins that are this worn, and measurements which are difficult to do without the coin in hand. That being said, here it goes.

I don't think it is O-103, the T-I alignment doesn't appear to be right sides in line as this die has. I don't think it is O-113 either, the '0' in 1930 is higher and with a more extreme angle then in this die.

My best guess is O-115, this has the high angled '0' and S7-CHb on the obverse and a low A3 that is tilted away from the last 'C' in America, the correct T-I, and a moderately wide 50 C on the Reverse.

~Droid

Draft saved Draft deleted