1830 Capped Bust Half Dime small 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by old49er, May 2, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi all, I couldnt resist this coin. Ive had it a few years now. Too bad it has a damaged rim. Check out the detail , and the weird looking small 5. Do you think this coin, would benefit from an acetone soak and rosethorn treatment? I don't want to mess it up. Is it worth the effort to clean it? Or does the rim damage doom it? I would love to see her clean up her act. LOL... I can see all the detail under years of crud. thanks in advance for any and all advice...Regards to all halfdimeobv1830cappedbust.jpg 1830cappedbust halfdime rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Can't see how a good soak in acetone would hurt. Almost looks ex jewelry from that rim

old49er likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Before I would do anything I would Google and book mark the Bust half dime marriages site. It list all the die marriages . Then you can determine how rare your coin is.
    The process is quite simple as the site list instructions as well as images of all possible marriages . Some of these coins have R factors in the 5 to 8 range!
    For example a R-5 could mean a 30 to 75 pieces known
    a R-8 one to three.
    Plus the site offers a lot of interesting information .

UnCommonCents and old49er like this.
  5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

An acetone soak for a few hours or overnight would not hurt. I'd skip the rose thorn, though, that could cause some really unattractive marks in the patina.

old49er likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. I agree with acetone only. It would be cool if you would imaged the coin out of the holder and again after the acetone bath.

old49er likes this.
  7. old49er

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Most appreciated. I did as described. man that's hard to do with the die matching... But after hours of magnifying glass ,detective work. I found it! Its the LM-10 R-6, obverse die 5. Reverse die F.. Extra serif on C, between CA in America. I soaked her in soapy water for an hour. Blotted with microfiber poly cloth. Then an acetone soak for an hour. blotted again... I cant believe the difference. Do you think I should soak her more? Looks nice to me. But I,m no pro.... Heres some pics after mild cleaning... those details really popped... 1830 capped bust half dime LM-10 R-6  obv.jpg 1830 capped bust half dime LM-10 R-6 rev.jpg

UnCommonCents likes this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

No. I'd leave it as it is now. It looks better Great original surfaces with residual original luster. I wish all circulated silver coins had surfaces like this Xf details I'd call it. And a r-6 I believe there would be people willing to overlook the rim issues to complete a die marriage set

9. old49er

upgraded pics in post below

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  10. old49er

oops, hope I didn't go too far. I will leave it as is now. thanks for the grading.

11. old49er

Final result I,m leaving her as is now final resulthd obv.jpg final resulthd rev.jpg

UnCommonCents likes this.
  12. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

From the looks of the pics I would say that it is LM-8, not 10. Check out the end of the motto as to where it ends under the center point of the M in AMERICA. On reverse F it ends under the first leg of the M.

UnCommonCents and old49er like this.
  13. old49er

Thanks a lot +1

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not LM-8 either. I agree with the reverse, but that rev was used on 7 and 8 and stars 6 & 7 are too far apart to be obv 3 (LM-8). Also star 13 point too far up on the hair curl to be LM-8. I'd say LM-7. R-2

Paddy54 and old49er like this.
  15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think she looks perfect as is. Glad you were conservative with the conservation!

Draft saved Draft deleted