1829 small letters half dollar inquiry

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Profit man, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

46DBCA91-B7D5-400F-A499-219126255CC6.jpeg 8AD772B2-0398-4720-AF19-2CED175D55C9.jpeg 7F351BE9-3418-49E1-974A-2347F0B88036.jpeg 80A1C10C-192C-454B-819C-6253D9BD38FB.jpeg Has this coin been cleaned and what do you think it’s worth? This is my first time ever touching a coin in my life I usually tell the cashier keep the change because I’m profit man

Thanks in advance

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

NSP, Johndoe2000$ and Profit man like this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yes it was harshly cleaned. It’s an O-112 R1 if you know what that means.

Profit man likes this.
  5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

IMO judging by the hairlines I'd think it was cleaned. No guess on the value because I have no clue as to what you're talking about in your last sentence. (Maybe it's a Coin Talk inside thing).

Profit man likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd say it was cleaned but is "market acceptable" on that front. However, the scratches on the eagle's head and in the field below Liberty's chin would preclude any chance of this coin getting a problem-free "straight" grade from a reputable third-party grading service like PCGS, NGC, ANACS, or ICG.

So it is a "problem" coin, but not, in my opinion, that awful. It's OK for what it is: a Bust half with decent detail. Bust halves are desirable in pretty much any condition. This one has some issues but is not bad looking otherwise.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

He is baaaaack!!

NSP, Paddy54 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Such a liar!

Chris

C-B-D, thomas mozzillo, NSP and 2 others like this.
  9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I like the coins as they are, but many of my coins are "Raw", because if I want to sell them, I want buyers to make up their minds if the cleaning and scratches are important to them unless they don't want a coin with problems. I first became aware of problem coins when I bought a Raw Liberty Double Eagle from a dealer. That was my first purchase of a gold coin. The dealer recommended I have it graded because it would be more valuable. He took it to a show and had NGC grade it. When he returned it, it was graded "UNC Details-Obverse Scratched". I paid $1,300 for it in 2009. He offered to buy the coin back. I didn't sell it to him because I thought then and now that it is worth more than $1,300. Anyway, I buy graded coins, but I don't have anymore coins graded. I don't trust dealers because they need to make money to stay in business. I was a State Auditor for 30+ years and I learned not to trust dealers or anyone else that sells coins, etc. If you want to buy coins, do your homework so you know what you are doing.

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Draft saved Draft deleted